This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrolysis effects on aluminum & brass?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom Evans
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49032

Electrolysis effects on aluminum & brass?

Postby Tom Evans » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:17 pm

I built a 50 gallon electrolysis tank last month and I am very please with the results. However, I'm wondering what effects the process would have on aluminum and brass parts.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:54 pm

Put only iron/steel items in the tank. Electrolysis quickly destroys aluminum and you should assume it's hard on the yellow metals as well. Some alloys may hold up better than others but you won't know until it's too late.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Electrolysis effects on aluminum & brass?

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:38 pm

Tom Evans wrote:I built a 50 gallon electrolysis tank last month and I am very please with the results. However, I'm wondering what effects the process would have on aluminum and brass parts.

Tom:

Image to what Carl said:

Unless you would like to have a figment of your imagination left behind, I would not put aluminum, brass, copper or pot metal in an electrolysis tank. It kinda disappears :roll: :oops: :roll:

Can you post pics of your tank :?: :?: Curiosity always gets me :shock: :?: .... I am like a kid a Christmas opening presents :wink: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:40 pm

I had My front axle a bubblin for 4-days & nights in the tank. Including the Brass Spindle Bushings and there was no ill effect on the bushings what so ever. :shock: I avoid putting any aluminum in the shocker though.
Then came Bronson

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:58 pm

:idea: I would think it would have to be Magnetic to have any affect, Although if it will carry curent :?:

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:06 pm

Well....strictly speaking....

Aluminum is not particularly suitable as an electrolyte....it doesn't like to play the metallic salt game in the water with electricity.

After all....it's a metalloid and not a metal when you get down to it....

It would be possible to electrolyse brass/copper/bronze in the tanks, but of course, we would have to be using brass/copper/bronze electrodes, and not pieces of rebar.

Unless you've got something like a bronze canon or bell that has been sitting beneath the sea for centuries, there's not a whole lot of advantage to it, although for treasure divers, it's a great way to recover these items......

You can do it with silver and gold as well, but since gold is fairly inert to begin with, there's not much purpose in it.....silver, however, has its advantages when recovered in this way..........old roman coins from off the coast of Alexandria have been nicely restored in this fashion...the gold ones are best just brushed off and polished a bit....