This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How Not To Do Hydraulics !

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:18 am

I think Matt has hit the why gasket. Removing bottomed broken bolt is necessary so fix of shorter bolts can be done. Also don't get to believe the falsehood that grade 8's cant be broken. Sometimes too strong a bolt leads to stripped threads. At times too tight can be as bad as too loose. Threads can be drawn out so that mating parts don't mate properly.

Matt Kirsch wrote:
Given the fact that the bolts are too long, perhaps there wasn't enough pressure on the gaskets, and they blew out before the pressure built up to the relief valve setting?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Oh well :roll: :cry: the left handed drill bit works nice, but didn't bring the bolt out :shock: :? :cry: Darn... off to the next step. Pics tonight.. I get Cub Shop Time this afternoon...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Tue May 01, 2007 6:11 pm

Hey Hey Hey,

Ya all are talking about left handed drill bits. Where can ya buy a left handed drill, and will it work it your right handed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops: .

JimT
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue May 01, 2007 9:26 pm

Let me first say thanks to everyone for their help, encouragement and support as I screwed up the courage to fix my major screwup. Especially Rick :!: He has taught me so much about hydraulics and the intricacies of Ellie's Touch Control System.

I was able to get some shop time today to learn how to get this snapped bolt out.

I first tried the Left-Handed Drill Bit. Excellent investment, but just not the ticket for this particular job. They are getting a special place in my Drill Indexes though..

Here is what we started with:

As you can see, there is nowhere near enough of a thread to weld a nut onto the bolt. Also, unless one is a good welder with lots of practice, this is one job left to the pro's :!:

It is clear that the Left-Hand Drill Bit was partially successful and in a different scenario, probably would have done the job. I have to admit, that never having used one before, I may have influenced this outcome a tad with a lack of finesse.

The other day whilst I was at Canadian Tire (commonly refered to as Canada Trash from way back), I noticed that the Maximum Trade Name had come out with a new Bolt Extractor that is different. If is made for your Drill and will chuck into a standard 3 jaw chuck or into a quick bit holder. So, just in case I bought a set. Oh you have to input a postal code, so for our friends south of the 49th, E1A 7J3 will work -- it is my PC, so feel free. The Grab-It Bolt Extractor retails for $29.99, but I got it for $19.99 and it paid for itself on first use :!:

The first thing I did was to utilize the suggestion to cover the Manifold Mounting Surface with a guard plate. So I grabbed a chunk of my ever versatile 1/8" tempered Masonite and made a couple cover plates.

Then came the experiment with the Grab-It Extractor.

I wish the pics were a little less out of focus, but it is the best I was able to get with the old Kodak. Probably need to use the Magnifying Glass trick that Camo suggested.. :? :wink: :!: :D

Ellie's Hydraulics work nicely now, although I still have a few leaks to fix..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Tue May 01, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks for the link Rudi, That's a good find.
Glad for your success too!

trac48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: J7Z1B7

Postby trac48 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:10 pm

bravo Rudi :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gilles :wink:

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Re: How Not To Do Hydraulics !

Postby awander » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 pm

I have a set of those extractors from Sears, and they do work well.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)