This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Nobody expects an 8 volt conversion

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Nobody expects an 8 volt conversion

Postby drspiff » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:06 pm

6 volt? 12 volt? yadda, yadda, yadda. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, er... sorry, wrong thread. Nobody expects an 8 volt conversion. Yes, I am the proud owner of an 8 volt negative ground 1951 Cub.

Before I'm hanged for heresy, I did not do it. Apparently the PO decided that if 6 volts was good, 8 volts would be better. Below is a schematic of my existing electrical system.

For those among you with sharp eyes, you'll notice that the lights are not hooked up to anything. And before I hook them up, I expect to some time with Mr. Meter and confirm connections before power is applied. The reason for the question marks in the drawing is that I've never seen a coil that looks like the cylindrical object on my machine. But I've never seen a magneto before either.

So my questions are:

1. Did the PO just change the power and ground connections to make this a negative ground system? I was under the impression that that converting from positive ground to negative ground was a little more involved.

2. Does the drawing make sense as a functioning electrical system? BTW, the tractor starts and runs with this setup. I wasn't aware it was non-standard until I started hanging out with all you smart people.

3. I'm assuming that the square box really is a voltage regulator and that it and the generator are the original parts. If this is a generator/regulator setup, does that mean it has a coil rather than a magneto?

4. If the tractor starts and runs, do I need to do anything to this collection of electrical parts? Or is there anything I should do as preventive maintenance?

I'll get and post some pictures of the coil/magneto in a little bit.

Rick (the magic smoke might leak out!) Dulas

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:17 pm

Rick, they came out with an 8V battery some years back and several folks have installed them. Personally I think it's not needed providing you do normal maintenance and take care of your system.

The 8V battery system should work OK, although it may shorten the life of the lights and such.

The starter will be OK as well. All the extra 2 volts is giving you is a little "Boost" to turn the starter a bit faster.

I think most folks will state the same, if your existing system is operational and all there, the 6V system will work fine as long as you do the normal maintenance. If you are wanting to run 12V accesories such as sprayer pumps and such, then a 12V conversion is a good idea, or if your gen is bad, switching to a 12V alt is a good idea at times.

Just my .02 worth.
Mike Duncan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 pm

As long as it works, I would leave it as is, unless you subscribe to "Correct Police Monthly".

Yes, the square box would be a regulator, and since you show 2 wires on the "kill" switch it would be an ignition switch with a distributor, or converted magneto. standard magneto woudl only have a one wire switch to ground it out.

Converting from + to - ground requires reversing the battery cables, reversing the ammeter leads, and polarizing the generator. With a regulator, I believe it may require a different one also, but not sure.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Trent M » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:41 pm

I don't know about the wiring, but I like the Monty Python reference!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trent McPeak

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:54 pm

http://ihregistry.com/wiring/K1.pdf

Your wiring diagram from the regulator to the generator doesn't appear to be correct.

The conversion consisted of a slight tweeking on the 6 volt voltage regulator, installation of an 8 volt battery and the polarization.

Someone had a purpose for installing the 8 volt battery.

If you have access to an operator's manual, it contains photos of the magneto and battery ignition systems.

Maintenance is the same as the 6 or 12 volt generator driven systems.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Andy Oberg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Andy Oberg » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:17 pm

I'm wired for Python too. Saw Spamalot in Vegas with John O' Herlihy. Great show! As to the relevancy of that to this forum-"Bring out your Dead!" and these cubbers will help you bring them back to life. ("I'm not dead yet!")

Andy
1978 Cub #252847
54 blade
C3 mower
http://www.obergandavery.com

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:07 pm

Having grown up at an IH dealership, I can assure you that installing an 8-volt battery was a common practice, especially in colder climates. When the charging systems in cubs get older, and weak, the easiest thing to do is up the voltage slightly. It is not a "fix" but it does work. I have heard that it could shorten the life of electrical components.

Personally, I would leave it alone if it works.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

You Guys ROCK!

Postby drspiff » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:43 pm

You Guys ROCK!

Thanks for helping to ease my concern over an 8 volt system. Once I get it running again, I'll check the generator output and see if everything is as it should be.

As far as plans for 12 volt accessories, nothing that I can think of needing at the moment. As soon as I can get into the ihregistry, I'll check out the wiring diagrams.

Rick (Scaling the sidewalk in front of the house) Dulas

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:47 pm

I have seen 8 volt batteries in old cars a few times.
Seems to help crank it over a little faster especially after extended periods of sitting.
No changes to the electrical system were made, have not heard of it burning out lights faster, maybe it is and the owners don't notice it.
I'm putting one in a Model A I'm working on, was told by A guys it
is just a battery bolt in. It'll be a few years before it's on the road.
49 Cub, 72 154 LoBoy