This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Head Removed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Head Removed

Postby Harold R » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:13 pm

Starting to determine what needs to be fixed in the motor, so I took the head off......and was a little suprised. :shock: Is this the domed pistons I've heard about?

http://photos.cubfest.com/albums/userpics/10314/Humps.jpg

The lower end was tight and the motor held good oil pressure. It had just started to smoke a little under a load. I'm thinking the pistons are standard........they have an arrow pointing to "Front", and each piston is numbered. I was hoping a new set of rings and lap the valves, but the number 2 and 3 look real oily. :(

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 am

This morning the link is pointing to a picture of the engine turned over showing sludge plugging the oil pump intake screen. The one you had yesterday was showing what appeared to be the IH Fire Crater pistons, which was their version of a domed piston.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:17 am

I re-pointed your link HR.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:36 am

This morning the link is pointing to a picture of the engine turned over showing sludge plugging the oil pump intake screen.

Can't explain that. I think BD enlarged it for me.........but that oil pump screen photo belongs to someone else.

Never the less. Was the "Fire Crater" from the factory or replacement part. The reason I ask is because I need to order a set of rings for them but I need to know what size. It's been my experience if it's an over-size piston, the size over is usually stamped on the top. I've seen nothing but sequence numbers and a direction arrow "Front".

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:28 pm

HR, clean them up real good there should be a size on them. The fire crater piston was marketed by IH. But I don't know who was manufacturing them. Any manufacture of rings will work on the pistons
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Harold,

You will have to mike the cylinders before you order rings to know their exact size. The allowable ring end gap must be between .007" and .017"". As little as .003" cylinder wear will cause the ring gap to be out of spec as soon as the engine is broken in. I typically use the next size ring and carefully file the gaps to give .007" fit. I just did it again on the engine I'm preparing for the demo.

The pistons themselves are more forgiving and can be knurled to enlarge them to make up for wear.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:34 pm

Yup on what George said.

Ifn that engine were mine I would do a major overhaul. If the engine doesn't need extensive machine work - It won't cost much more. And if it needs extensive machine work - Well, it's cheaper to do it right once.

Just my opinion.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.