This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

roller bearing throwout bearings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

roller bearing throwout bearings

Postby ricky racer » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:09 pm

I am in the process of rebuilding my 1953 cub and am replacing the clutch and throwout bearing. I got a bearing type throwout bearing from JP awile back and had planned on using it in the assembly of my rebuilt cub. But I am having second thoughts. A friend of mine used one that he purchased from JP and had to replace it after less than a year (with an OEM bearing). I had already bought one and e-mailed JP to see if he would exchange my bearing type throwout bearing with an OEM type and he said no. :evil: I am nearly ready to get to the clutch and am not sure if I should use JP's bearing or go out and buy another OEM type. What has been your experience with one of JP bearings? JP assured me that his bearing would greatly outlast an OEM one which convinced me to buy it from him. What is the real poop on this bearing? :?:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:15 pm

When these bearings first became available there were problems as you describe. Supposedly, improvements were made. I don't know of anyone who has tried one and I have not done so. I figured the track record of the graphite bearing spoke for itself since most of them last at least 40 to 50 years or more. That was enough for me to make my choice.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Agreed...the graphite bearing worked good for IH for the lifetime production of the CUB. If engineering had felt the need to upgrade to a ball/roller bearing, they would have had a bulletin/parts substitution.

Supposedly the ball bearing setup has been improved. If you really burn out the throwout bearings fast, maybe you need to adjust the free travel or not use the left pedal for foot rest......
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:12 pm

Does the graphite bearing spin?
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:57 am

no

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:43 am

I have one of the revised release bearings, from Bates Corp. Purchased a few years ago, it has not been installed, so have no experience with it. I suspect that the bearing is a ball bearing rather than a roller bearing. Ball bearings can be designed to handle moderate thrust loads, which is the loading in the clutch application. I suspect that the bearings used are designed for radial loads, the most common application for ball bearings. Thrust loads on radial bearings results in short life.
The concept appeals to me. The execution of the concept needs more design work. I am not sure that a thrust-type bearing is available in a size to fit the Cub holder.
Historical note: Prior to 1955, most Chevrolets (and some other makes) used ball bearings in the front wheel spindles. These were designed for thrust loads as well as radial. Front wheels experience both radial and thrust force. Those bearings did require replacement from time to time. In 1955, Chevrolet went to tapered roller bearings in the front wheels.
Luck favors those who are prepared

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:32 am

Bus Driver wrote:I have one of the revised release bearings, from Bates Corp. Purchased a few years ago, it has not been installed, so have no experience with it. I suspect that the bearing is a ball bearing rather than a roller bearing. Ball bearings can be designed to handle moderate thrust loads, which is the loading in the clutch application. I suspect that the bearings used are designed for radial loads, the most common application for ball bearings. Thrust loads on radial bearings results in short life.
The concept appeals to me. The execution of the concept needs more design work. I am not sure that a thrust-type bearing is available in a size to fit the Cub holder.
Historical note: Prior to 1955, most Chevrolets (and some other makes) used ball bearings in the front wheel spindles. These were designed for thrust loads as well as radial. Front wheels experience both radial and thrust force. Those bearings did require replacement from time to time. In 1955, Chevrolet went to tapered roller bearings in the front wheels.

The biggest design problem that was overlooked was that the bearing and shaft aren't necessarily concentric. This led to wild thrust reversals, destroying the Bates bearing. The graphite bearing doesn't even care.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Keith L
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith L » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:42 am

On my very 1st Cub, complete teardown and restoration, I found and used the Bates bearing. This is my parade tractor so doesn't get a lot of use, but then again neither do the others. Anyway, so far I have not had problems with the Bates bearing. But on all others I replaced the bearing on I have used a new IH graphite bearing and will continue to use them. Then you knoow you won't have problems. Just adjust the pressure plate fingers correctly and grease the graphite.
Keith Lukachek
55 Lo (Woods), 57 Lo(in boxes), 62 Lo(105 mower), 50 for parades, 57 FH, 58 FH, 64 Loader (Ugly Duckling), 154 (Woods), 59(Woods), 49 SAV, 58 460U Diesel