This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Local IH dealer?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Local IH dealer?

Postby Trent M » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:23 pm

I was wondering how likely it is for a local IH dealer to have NOS stuff for a Cub? I know of a couple dealers that were around when they were still making Cubs. Also, I'm not that experienced at buying parts either. How does one go about checking. Is it sufficient to ask if they "have any Cub stuff?" Do you need specific part numbers? Does it depend on the quality of the parts person? Also, what items are more commonly available? Probably won't do much good to ask for split front wheel weights, I assume, but how about plow shares, for example? Just sitting around pondering searching some of the local dealers' stock. Thanks guys!
Trent McPeak

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:34 pm

You will be pleasently suprised at most Cub Cadet and IH dealerships, especially the old ones. Most of the old parts guys know the Cub numbers off of the top of their head, and they typically carry the common tune-up stuff, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, gaskets, ignition switches, filters, some internal engine parts, etc. You will not find much other stuff for Cubs though.

However, you will find that some of the dealerships are getting away from the Cub and Lo-boy parts because they are typically a bit expensive and they are fairly low volume items for them to sell, so as new equipment comes out, with new parts to stock, Cub and Lo-boy stuff will continue to go away.

The Parts Smart system that the Cub Cadet dealers use now to find and inventory parts does list parts for the number series lo-boys, but I do not believe that Cub parts are listed.

You will also be suprised to find that NAPA carries the Cub cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

The bigger parts you will need to find on-line because even if a dealer has them, you will most likely not want to pay the dealer price. There are very few Cub parts that you cannot find right here on this site, especially at Ralph's and TMs sites.

Welcome,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:43 pm

About 3 years ago our local dealership flooded. Dad asked them about buying some parts. He bought some N.O.S. cub plows that had the bolts in little canvas bags still wired to the plow itself. They were muddy but waterhosed off. The dealership probably would have thrown them away. You never know what they have back there.

I once bought 2 N.O.S. 140 High Clear Emblems I saw on the shelf at a local dealer. He charged me $20 bucks for the pair, they brought over $150 each on ebay. :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:46 pm

It varies from dealer to dealer but as far as NOS stuff goes - there isn't much of that left anywhere. Some limited stuff is still in production and dealers that don't have it can get it (if they want to). As Bill said though, it is becoming harder and harder to find some stuff. One reason some of the stuff like tune-up parts is still available is that it is common across the letter series tractors and applies to more than one model.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:56 pm

You'll find alot of Odd-Ball stuff that the dealers couldn't sell over time. Stuff you don't normally break like brackets, housings, etc. My best N.O.S. find yet was a set of 3 N.O.S. sealed beam cub headlights for the 55 and later cubs. Didn't look like they'd ever seen daylight. Shiny Red Paint. I also have a N.O.S. Wire screen cub grille, but I never could understand why a dealer couldn't sell that. I still have a N.O.S. Cub seat with the IH paper tags still on it. I'm keeping it for my 47.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:48 pm

So, I would need to go in there with specific items for them to look up? I wouldn't be surprised if they had some good old stuff in there.
Trent McPeak

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Trent - if it's an old dealership you have a chance of finding some good stuff. Maybe even some stuff that's been taken off the books but not disposed of. One never knows.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:56 pm

Something else to keep in mind, although they may not be NOS IH tagged, is that there are Cub and numbered Lo-Boy parts available through Cub Cadet dealers, and not just Case IH. I don't mean a Case IH dealer that sells Cub Cadets, but a CC dealer that does not sell farm tractors/equipment. In fact some of the prices are lower through Cub Cadet than through Case IH, and they are the same parts. I believe the Case IH price for the Cub manifold gaskets are $11+ each, and my Cub Cadet dealer quoted $8-9 and change - sill rather high, but cheaper than Case IH.

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

parts

Postby Russ Leggitt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 pm

Trent, I have found that in general, if you go to the parts man with a part number in hand, he is more likely to try a little harder to find what you need. Some just do not like to apply themselves in looking through old books or scroll through the computer to find part numbers for Cubs. This applies to all Cub parts also. My dealer has found some rare parts for me. He found some shims for a pto unit that I am rebuilding in New Jersey. The last three listed anywhere in the U.S.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:02 pm

I have found that the most interesting places to be are the older IH Dealerships.. ones that have been around say at least 30 or 40 years. My local CaseIH Dealer closed last year, and during the cleanup/cleanout and the auction, I was lucky to find some neat stuff, and of course good stuff at awesome prices. I always go looking at older dealerships when I get a chance.. you never know what they got..... 8) :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:19 am

I have been very happy mail ordering from Hoober.com, the IH dealer in Intercourse, PA even though I am 3 hours away over in New Jersey. I agree with Russ's statement that if you have already looked up the part number they are much happier when you call in. While several years ago I bought a parts manual, and later parts CD, I just recently discovered that now the entire IH parts library with blowups and part numbers is accessible on caseih.com . So unless you need help with a particular item, you can order electronically.

Once you have your parts numbers, you can go to Hoober.com and order everything on-line, checking prices as you go.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/