This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ready to commence TC overhaul

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Ready to commence TC overhaul

Postby Trent M » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:37 pm

We got the kits today to overhaul the pump and block on Dad's '49. Just had a couple questions before beginning. First thing, after removing the hood, will be to clean up the areas around the block and pump. Any recommendations on a solvent to use for this? I would imagine the same solvent, with compressed air for drying, would be used to clean up the inside of block and pump.

I think the pump will be simple enough and we can probably get it done without much trouble. The block, on the other hand has me a little scared. One of the manuals on the server, BRSM GSS-1411 Section 8, has a simple-looking step-by-step for the rebuild of the block, but mentions nothing of a "coining tool." Only snap ring pliers. Other manuals show the coining tool. Any advise there? Its not perfectly clear, but I assume either one is for turning the valves as they are replaced to protect o-rings.

Any other advice before this mechanically challenged Cubber proceeds is greatly appreciated!!
Trent McPeak

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:29 am

Hey Trent,

You might want to think again about taking that hood off. You know what it leads to. :lol: :lol:

Good luck on the TC. Wish I could help but I have'nt had the pleasure of taking a TC apart....yet.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:29 am

The hood was already off last year when the engine was overhauled, so I should be all good to go there!! We'll see what I find.

So, anyone recommend a good solvent for cleaning up the unit?
Trent McPeak

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:47 am

For gross cleaning of grease, I use mineral spirits and a plastic bucket. when I am done I pour it back into the cans and use a paint strainer in the funnel to catch the sand and junk. I get a lot of life out of it that way. Some day I will set up a parts washer...

Brake cleaner or carb cleaner works well and leaves no residue for final cleanup.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:02 am

Brake parts cleaner is great stuff and so is Purple Power.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:07 am

Thanks guys, I have some brake parts cleaner so I will use that.

Any advice on the coining tool?
Trent McPeak

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:34 pm

Brake clean is what I use after parts washer.clean clean clean!!!!!Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Bottom plate

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Scratch a few index marks on the sides of the plate and the t/c block to correctly reposition during reassembly. If the block moves rearward it makes reconnecting the hydraulic lines a bear ---
Don't ask me how I know....

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:21 pm

Not sure if Rudi has the generic IH service manual... that's what I used, but for TC rebuild it only covered the newer block. I took lots of pictures and guess I did it right because it works.

Expect to buy a screen!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:36 pm

The TC works fine, but needs the pump seal replaced and there is leaking from the block. I was hoping to reuse the screen and the leather boots and just replace o-rings and gaskets. We'll see when we get in there. Anyone have any advice on cleaning and reusing the leather boots?

BW, did you overhaul the older block? I sure would like to get a look at the pics if I could.

I had a little time this afternoon, so I drained the gas, oil, and Hy-Tran and REMOVED THE HOOD in preparation for the rebuild. FYI, the engine was overhauled just last year, so I shouldn't get in too much trouble!!
Trent McPeak

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:04 pm

I was able to save the big leather boot... it was well caked in grease so I just brushed it off with an old tooth brush.

I have pictures.... send me an PM with your email address...
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)