This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Compression

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:37 pm

My experience with sticking valves:

Valves stick when oil or gasoline gets on the stem and turns all gummy and gooey. 9 times out of 10, it's the exhaust valves. It then gets down into the valve guide and glues the stem to the guide when the valve opens. Flushing with a good solvent and working the valve up and down may be enough to soften up the goo, otherwise you'll have to pull the sticking valves out and scrub the stems and guides if the valve spring can't overcome that gummy goo.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:46 pm

I used to use WD-40 until I found tried a can of Liquid Wrench. There are still a couple cans of WD-40 on the shelf. Then I tried PB Blaster that everyone raves about. Now the shelf has cans of WD-40 and Liquid Wrench.

If I were 20 miles from civilization and all I had was WD-40, I'd use it. But trust me on this Barnyard, the difference between WD-40 and PB Blaster is unbelievable. I have not tried Kroil yet, but if it gets recommended here, it is probably pretty good stuff.

Take your wife into town for lunch tomorrow and "just happened to remember I need some spray". She will be pleased you thought of her and it is a good excuse to get some "real spray stuff".

Rick (do these shop towels match the kitchen curtains?) Dulas

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:55 pm

An older man once told me when my valves would stick on my 37 jpop, even while it was running, to add "transmission fluid to the gas because it was made to run on gas and kerosine"... I did what he said and had no problems after that. Now I even dump a quart in my cars gas tanks at every oil change to keep the injectors clean. Good stuff!

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:56 pm

The leap in performance from WD-40 to PB Blaster pales in comparison to results of Kroil. Well worth ordering online. I got a couple cans of aero kroil to get me started and also got a gallon of the stuff to put in a spray bottles, oil cans, etc. With so many cubs lying around, you'll need it!!
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:59 pm

I would have suggested PB Blaster. Keep soaking the stem of the valve just below the head. Keep cranking the engine over. Should free up shortly.

SeaFoam once you get it freed up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:59 pm

I just came in from Bob (Big ol' barn) and have had success so I'm gonna... Gee Willickers! Look at all the responses I got since I left!

The valve is now returning to the closed position with very minimal effort. It still hangs up a bit, but a lot better than earlier this evening.

I've been spraying it and then coming to the house to read some of the testimonials to Bigdog while it soaked Then I'd go out to work it a little more up and down, spray it again, read some more posts, work it some more. I kept repeating this over and over (I gotta move the barn closer to the house). After using up all the WD-40 and all the light that was left in Bob (I closed the doors and sealed cracks to keep the dark out) I decided to call it a night. I'm going to let it soak overnight and hit it again in the morning. I'm off work tomorrow and I don't have any Cubs to go after so I have plenty of time.

Thanks everyone for your help. You have all been great! I gotta go read some more of the feedback to Bigdog. That should keep me busy till sun up. He deserves a great big pat on the back for all he has done for this forum. I told my wife that he made me to buy all those Cubs while she was gone. I even bought a fake arm sling to make it look more convincing.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:18 am

drspiff wrote:I used to use WD-40 until I found tried a can of Liquid Wrench. There are still a couple cans of WD-40 on the shelf. Then I tried PB Blaster that everyone raves about. Now the shelf has cans of WD-40 and Liquid Wrench.

If I were 20 miles from civilization and all I had was WD-40, I'd use it. But trust me on this Barnyard, the difference between WD-40 and PB Blaster is unbelievable. I have not tried Kroil yet, but if it gets recommended here, it is probably pretty good stuff.

Take your wife into town for lunch tomorrow and "just happened to remember I need some spray". She will be pleased you thought of her and it is a good excuse to get some "real spray stuff".

Rick (do these shop towels match the kitchen curtains?) Dulas

WD-40 and PB Blaster are two different things. Each one has their purpose and serves their purpose well. WD-40 is simply a mild lubricant and moisture displacer. When I was in Marine Corps boot camp they gave it us to clean our rifles and protect against rust. PB Blaster is a penetrant that breaks up rust, gum, etc. Beyond that Kroil evidently does even better job as a penetrant.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:56 am

Barnyard wrote:...until I get electric to the Big Ol' Barn (Bob).

Contrary to popular belief, light bulbs do not give off light. I do not know why they are call light bulbs in the first place. What you need are "Dark Suckers" in Bob. Dark suckers suck all the darkness out of a room rather than giving off light. The more the wattage the faster they suck the darkness away. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.msu.edu/user/dynicrai/physics/dark.htm

O yeah, PS: I want to see a big fancy dark sucker over the pool table. Image
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:17 am

JimT wrote:Contrary to popular belief, light bulbs do not give off light. I do not know why they are call light bulbs in the first place. What you need are "Dark Suckers" in Bob. Dark suckers suck all the darkness out of a room rather than giving off light. The more the wattage the faster they suck the darkness away.

Jim, that was a very interesting read and it makes perfect sense (maybe my wife is on to something after all). On my way to get cans of Kroil, PB Blaster, Sea Foam, and Free All, I will swing by Home Depot and see if I can get some decent dark suckers for Bob (short for Robert - Rustic Ol' Building Enjoying Rejuvenated Timbers).
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:54 am

Denny ('60 Lo-Boy) wrote:WD-40 and PB Blaster are two different things. Each one has their purpose and serves their purpose well. WD-40 is simply a mild lubricant and moisture displacer. When I was in Marine Corps boot camp they gave it us to clean our rifles and protect against rust. PB Blaster is a penetrant that breaks up rust, gum, etc. Beyond that Kroil evidently does even better job as a penetrant.

Denny, your point is well taken. I guess my view of WD-40 is a generational thing. When I was in basic, we had to sharpen our spear points with sand. The only oil we saw was in the lamps. But that was really "Old Army".

Rick (morituri te salutamus) Dulas

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:13 pm

drspiff wrote:The only oil we saw was in the lamps. But that was really "Old Army".

As Jim T would tell you, you sure don't want to use your dark sucker fuel.

Circle of Safety

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:39 pm

drspiff wrote:
Denny ('60 Lo-Boy) wrote:WD-40 and PB Blaster are two different things. Each one has their purpose and serves their purpose well. WD-40 is simply a mild lubricant and moisture displacer. When I was in Marine Corps boot camp they gave it us to clean our rifles and protect against rust. PB Blaster is a penetrant that breaks up rust, gum, etc. Beyond that Kroil evidently does even better job as a penetrant.

Denny, your point is well taken. I guess my view of WD-40 is a generational thing. When I was in basic, we had to sharpen our spear points with sand. The only oil we saw was in the lamps. But that was really "Old Army".

Rick (morituri te salutamus) Dulas

:shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:55 pm

drspiff wrote:Take your wife into town for lunch tomorrow and "just happened to remember I need some spray". She will be pleased you thought of her and it is a good excuse to get some "real spray stuff".

Well Momma's still in Dallas (comes back tonight so I gotta hide all the Cubs) so I went to town for my lunch. I ordered a doubledecker on wheels and told the cute thing behind the counter I would be back to pick it (the sandwich) up.

I went over to the parts house for two sets of plugs and on the way out I saw the PB Blaster on the shelf. I grabbed two cans, went back to pay for them and headed for home. My next project will involve PB blaster.

Circle of Safety