This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Feeling like a King? Need a throne?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Feeling like a King? Need a throne?

Postby drspiff » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:23 am

Howdy! Somebody posted a picture of a Cub with a non-standard seat, so I thought I'd show you my idea of a throne for the Cub. I made a big score at the Mission and got a powered wheel chair for $15. Since I plan to adapt the motive portion to radio control, the seat needed a new home. What better use than the Cub?

I cobbled up a new seat base that has much more fore and aft adjustment than the stock unit, and allowed the wheelchair base to bolt to it.

The tractor is still apart being painted, but now I have a place to sit while I contemplate my kingdom.

Rick (it's good to be king) Dulas

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:29 am

Wow, not just arm rests but a headrest too 8) :!: Not a bad idea,,,,,, I tend to remember seeing one of those chairs sitting next to the shopping carts at the grocery store the other day,,,,,,,,,,,Hmmm :shock:
Mike Duncan

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:30 am

Rick,

I consider most seat changes to be cobbed up abominations, but your throne shows real class!

George (picky, picky) Willer
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:36 am

Now does the king have a "new suit of clothes" to go with his throne. :lol: :lol:
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:40 am

I'm with George, this is the first seat replacement I've seen that I like!! Way to go! :)
Trent McPeak

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:02 am

George Willer wrote:Rick,

I consider most seat changes to be cobbed up abominations, but your throne shows real class!

George (picky, picky) Willer

Thank you! I consider that high praise. As a teaser, here is the base I created to connect the tractor to the seat post base.

The seat post base came from the wheelchair. If you'll notice the mounting holes in the seat post base are symmetrical and the seat post is off-center. The seat base is a piece of channel. The mounting bolt holes for the seat post base are weld buildup. I just laid down a bunch of weld metal. Annealed, drilled, tapped, ground and finished. Every king needs a jewel in his crown and the base is mine.

Notice that the center line of the tractor mounting holes is offset from the center of the channel. This allows some space between the base and the battery box. When I was drilling the tractor bolt holes in the base, I figured that more is better. With these holes and the off-center seat post base mounting, there is a large range of adjustment.

I'm probably going to create a Shade Tree article on the base and seat mounting considerations.

Rick (basking in praise) Dulas

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:51 am

Nice throne.I still like the regular seat but that is way nice!!!! 8) 8) Thanks for the pics.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:36 pm

Looks really comfortable. Add an umbrella and a cooler and you could stay out until you need gas!

LBob

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Rick:

That is not just nice, it is really great... and it looks to be a good conversion as well and as George said, not some cobbled up mess. You may want to consider doing up a How To on this one for inclusion into the Cub Book Of Knowledge :!: 8) :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 pm

That is the first conversion I really liked. If I had it though I would only using when I wasn't working with the cub because it looks so comfy I may fall asleep riding in it. Then out of no where a tree would appear and smash would go the tie rods!! :lol: :lol:

Great Job!!!
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:34 pm

Yeah...... but does it recline and where is the footrest? :thumbsup:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:43 pm

:?: :?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:21 am

Bigdog wrote:Yeah...... but does it recline and where is the footrest? :thumbsup:

Truth to tell BD... It does recline and will layout flat if desired. As for the foot rest, I figured I'd use the Cub pedals for that purpose. As for the cup holders, umbrellas, etcetera that have been mentioned. This is not one of those Frou-Frou tractors with A/C, stereo, and windshield wipers.

But, the arms have an interesting construction. The pivots on a piece of square tube. This square tube then inserts into the arm support tube. A threaded knob on the back of the arm support tube allows the arm to change its vertical position. The arm support tube inserts into another square tube on the seat bottom. A set screw on the seat bottom tube allows the arm support tube to slide in and out relative to the seat.

Having all these bits and pieces sliding, moving and adjusting opens up enormous possibilities for custom mounts such as cup holders, umbrellas, A/C, stereo, windshield wipers, etc. One should never be too dogmatic. One day the dog will bite back. Here is a close up of the chair seat with some of the details called out. Notice that the left arm is longer than the right. This difference is very handy for climbing on to the Cub. A long arm would require some twisting and modern dance routines to get between the steering wheel and the arm. The shorter arm minimizes those gyrations. And if your dinner table has been as good to you as mine has to me, the folding arm eliminates the need to do any contortions.

I'm in the process of writing up the fabrication of the seat base, since this piece is the foundation of any chair or seat adapted to the Cub.

Rick (wondering about stereo cupholders) Dulas

rggiuliani
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54208

Postby rggiuliani » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:38 am

WOW!!!!!!! That is DELUXE.... Better get a patent... Everyone will want one. :lol: :lol: :wink:
Ron Giuliani
48 Cub / and minature too...
83 Cub Cadet 782
2002 Case DX 29
All RED in a Green World

48 BARNEY CUB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61745
Tractors Owned: 1-1948 Cub
1-1950 Demonstrator