This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Main seal?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Main seal?

Postby Yogie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:26 pm

I plan to take the radiator off of my tractor, while I have this off I want to replace the front main seal. Can I do this without removing the timeing cover?
Would you recomend changing the cover gasket while I'm at it even though there's no leak?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Main seal?

Postby Eugene » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:37 pm

I plan to take the radiator off of my tractor, while I have this off I want to replace the front main seal. Can I do this without removing the timeing cover? Would you recomend changing the cover gasket while I'm at it even though there's no leak?
You can remove and install the front main seal without removing the timing gear cover. Depending on available tools - that's the qualifier. In this case, if the front cover gasket is not leaking, leave it alone.

It may be easier for you to remove the front cover, then replace the seal on the work bench. Again, depending on the tools you have available. In this case loosen up the oil pan and let it drop down in front about 1/4 inch.

You will need to remove the front bolster to get to the pulley.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Main seal?

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Eugene wrote:You will need to remove the front bolster to get to the pulley.

If your original task is just to remove the radiator, Eugene's little comment is the giant killer of this job.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 pm

Thanks guys,
the oil pan was going to be next on my list while I work my way back the tractor. Sounds like I should do it all at the same time. I need to go through the steering box and decided to pull it off and take it to work where I can wash out the radiator real good...
Thanks again for a the great help!