This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NO CUB PURCHASE!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brown5490
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34471

Postby brown5490 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:00 pm

This reminds me of my trip to Williston to look at a cub. The owner said it ran. We had to pull start it and the guy(kid actually) said he pull starts it at 20mph :shock: . Oil was dripping out of the front of the engine. The carb was in horrible shape, it had been rebuilt 2 times but still didn't work right. It ran finally but the motor sounded weak and shut off when the tractor went into gear, I think the governor needed a rebuild. The clutch pedal didn't work correctly either for some reason. So, I offered the guy a really low price because I saw how much money I would have to put into it and he said, "Well, I've got another guy coming up today, blah blah. I smiled and said ok, thanks for showing me the tractor CYA. And then I went to Sanford and got my '53 :lol: . And I went back up there on my way to Tallahassee and it sold, I'm just glad it wasn't to me.
David Brown-- '74, '52(Dad's), '53 Cub, Henderson loader, Int. 1000 loader

Ironhorse
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironhorse » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:11 pm

I bought a pretty decent little '72 standard Cub from a guy down near Crystal River that had the rare Kub Klipper mower on it that I used for awhile. I guess there are honest folks and dishonest folks everywhere you go. Some just don't know any better but you can usually tell. This guy gave me an accurate description over the phone and told me what was wrong with it and I ended up buying it. Turned out to be a good tractor and I ended up trading it for my '49 International Pickup. I don't know...like I said, I could have made him an offer but just couldn't bring myself to do it.
1968 Cub LoBoy w/Woods C-42 Mower
1959 Cub LoBoy w/Danco C-2 Mower
1949 F-Cub/Wagner Loader

skooks
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04027

Postby skooks » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:06 pm

Casper, I admire your integrity.

Bob

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:42 pm

Let that one go, Casper. You did right by trusting your instinct. Even if you would have bought it at a lower price, you probably would have brought it home only to find more things wrong with it. Then, you would have been kicking yourself. There's plenty more around and your $2400 will buy a much better tractor (and implements).

Ironhorse
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironhorse » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 pm

My wife said the same thing...let it go because it wasn't meant to be...your instincts told you no and if you had bought it in spite of your instincts, you would be second guessing your decision making ability...and she's right...I've always made sound decisions based on need instead of want and its always paid off...I really appreciate this group of men and the support they give one another no matter what the situation. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement...at least as a result of letting that one go, I was able to tell my wife about that new radiator I ordered for my '68... :wink:
1949 F-Cub/Wagner Loader

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Casper:

You were bang on the money. When your guts say no.. just say no... And your wife, bless her was bang on as well.

It will be a good deal for someone at some point. You did the right thing.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Good move Casper,
I've been in the same boat on an eBay deal in the past week. Luckily I was close enough to take a drive and see the tractor before bidding, so much junk piled up I don't know how you could have dug it out if you did buy it. MAJOR misrepresented!
I feel a much better tractor will find you sometime real soon :D

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:22 pm

Casper,

It sounds like you made the right move. That is common in my area, people ask top dollar for stuff that is not worth 1/2 of what they are asking. They misrepresent the tractor in adds and on the phone. You will come across a good tractor for a fair price soon.

Paul K. in N.H.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:38 pm

I still don't see that you took the wife out to dinner. Well did you?
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Ironhorse
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironhorse » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:11 pm

Well kinda sorta Bill...does Cracker Barrel count as taking her out for dinner? :lol: she was a real trooper about the whole ordeal so I'll make it up to her...just not anywhere along I-75 South. I suppose if I'm going to keep looking for another Cub, I better keep her out of the kitchen at any cost amd start booking lots of reservations :wink:
1949 F-Cub/Wagner Loader

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:31 pm

casper sometimes you just have to go with that gut feeling and if your happy with your choice not to buy it thats all that matters. there is another cub out there for you. good luck in your search.now what are you and the wife doing next weekend? there is a great group of guys meeting in gillsville, ga. friday and saturday come on up :wink: GO NOLES :arrow: :!:
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:37 pm

Casper,

Congrats on making a great decision...especially with you wife in attendance! Your adventure shows that unfortunately there are some folks out there who are looking for a sucker with every deal, and in my mind, those folks will grow old and die with no friends.

I have a similar adventure to relate. Back when my wife and I were married only 25 years (it's 32 now!), I talked my sweet girl into flying from Atlanta to Chicago to pick up an old jeep which was the model I had lusted after for years. So, on the weekend of our 25th anniversary, off we head to Chicago, bum a ride with friends to Joliette, IL to see the jeep, and you guessed it, it was a true rust-bucket! But alas, my desire for this particular model clouded my vision despite the obvious con of the seller, and I bought the jeep anyway. We drove that jalopie all the way home (830 miles), and had a blast just being buddies again like we were before kids, jobs, and life in general! Yes, she still is convinced I'm crazy, but she tells this story with a big smile on her face just the same. Over the long haul, the old jeep was rare enough that it was still worth what I paid for it. And in the years since, I sold it to a friend, bought it back when he moved away, and sold it again to a restoration shop who did a frame-off and sold it for a bundle! The original seller? Who knows, but I just racked it up as a personal adventure for my wife and me, and figured he must have needed the money awful bad to mislead me...he will get his due when judgment day comes! :)
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:19 am

Hey Casper...BEEN THERE...DONE THAT...HOPE-TO-NEVER-AGAIN ! :wink:

Learning MORE about a Cub Lo-Boy...$130.00

Knowing WHY you would'nt leave $2400.00 of your hard-earned money with a LESS-THAN-HONEST Cub SELLER............PRICELESS :!: :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:01 am

Casper,

I bought a sailboat against my best judgments. The seller and I dickered via email and I got him down a significant amount, but still didn't feel all that good about it. Which didn't stop me from going to look at it, cash in hand. And buying it. Two years later, it's in the back yard, disemboweled, full of pine needles, ready to haul to the dump.

I should have trusted my instincts, like you did... :cry:
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Ironhorse
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironhorse » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:25 am

Now see? We're all just victims of our own desires and those desires are just human nature...I think we all, especially when we reach our fifties, start thinking about how short life is and we start attempting to cram more into what years we have left. But then I think we wake up and get past that, start slowing down and appreciating what we have and learn to enjoy and be satisfied with our accomplishments. We never stop learning in the school of hard knocks and one day we become the wise old grandfathers that our grandchildrem grow to admire. I'd say that the majority of you good men are Christian men and you value Godly ways and principles...I usually pray about my decisions no matter what they are and I think the good Lord made sure that oil poured out of that Cub just to wake me up before I made a bad decision!!! Amen!!!??? :lol:
1949 F-Cub/Wagner Loader