This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission/differential capacity?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wdbtchr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63654
Tractors Owned: '58 Cub
'67 Cub
'68 Case 580

Transmission/differential capacity?

Postby wdbtchr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:47 pm

I've been going through the '67 Cub I just bought changing everything. When I drained the transmission/differential I measured the lube and it was over 3 1/2 quarts. The book calls for 1 3/4 quarts. The seals weren't leaking, but that would be way overfull. Any ideas why it would be overfilled other that whoever filled it last just didn't know any better? The pans on the bull gears only had just enouth to barely touch the bull gears aout 1/4". Me thinks it was a good thing I checked everything.

On another note concering color, I was at a military vehicle show a couple of weeks ago and the was a Cub painted gray with military markings. The guy that had it said I was painted as original military markings from the factory. Didn't know that.
David Bryant
'58 Farmall Cub
'67 Farmall Cub
'68 Case 580
'89 DTC 8606
'65 Kaiser Jeep M51a2
'67 Kaiser Jeep m54a2
'53 Dodge M37

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:57 pm

Overfilling the transmission is one of the most common things that you hear on Cubs. There are a lot of people out there that fill them up to the bottom of the fill plug, which is completely full. Then they typically leak down.

The pans only having 1/4" in them is bad, but if the gear was in the oil at all, you are typically ok. Also, to keep the pan gaskets from leaking, only fill the pan back up to just below the gasket level. You do not need to fill them up to the bottom of the fill port, as indicated in the manual. Yes, even brand new gaskets will leak if you fill them up all of the way.

The guy with the military Cub was partially wrong. IH only painted the tractors the primary color, Red, Yellow, Grey, Blue, White, Orange, etc., and installed factory decals. The military paints on the other identification and decals once the equipment is issued to a post, or once it is received into inventory. IH would not have had the assignment informaiton, and there is no reason that the military would have ever given that info out.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:09 pm

There are a lot of people out there that fill them up to the bottom of the fill plug, which is completely full.
Yep, just like Bill stated. I've worked on 2 cubs for people that were way overfull. When I asked them how they knew there was enough fluid, they told me they removed the top big pipe plug and filled till they saw fluid. After I pointed out the proper 1/8" pipe plug down on the side, they were kinda embarrased.

If there wasn't any water present, that rules out rain getting in through the shifter.

Rick

wdbtchr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63654
Tractors Owned: '58 Cub
'67 Cub
'68 Case 580

Postby wdbtchr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:44 pm

Didn't find any water, that was one of my concerns at first. After I put in the right amount I drove it around a little to see if it sounded OK. Guess it was just an overfill.

I was more worried about the underfill on the bull gears, but they feel smooth when I turn the axles by hand. I think when I get more time this winter I'll pull the axles and eyeball the bearings.
David Bryant

'58 Farmall Cub

'67 Farmall Cub

'68 Case 580

'89 DTC 8606

'65 Kaiser Jeep M51a2

'67 Kaiser Jeep m54a2

'53 Dodge M37