This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

(Lack of?) power questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:12 am

The recommended timing was determined on a sample engine and the timing light is a way to duplicate that setting. Without a timing light the distributor or mag can be rotated on a running engine to find the sweet spot with maximum RPM. A later test with a light will probably find it's very close to specs, or very slightly advanced. Static timing as recommended in the manual will be the safest thing for an engine that will be hand cranked. This is because there could be some variation in the centrifugal advance causing it to fire advanced when cranking.

We checked Rambo's timing on the dyno at CubTug, intending to set timing for maximum power. We found it was already at the best setting. 8)
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:59 am

My cub has a distributer on, and it is hard to start with the hand crank. Is it possible to get a cub with a distributer to start easy with the hand crank.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:32 pm

Yes.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Can you tell anything by simply looking at the distributor caps? The one on the mag, that has plenty of power, has the #1 wire plug at "due north." The other one, with the distributor and lacking power, the #1 wire plug is definitely to the "northeast." Hmmm....
Trent McPeak

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:10 pm

That's about the right position for #1 on a distributor. I suggest a complete tune up, there may be several things that need adjusting or replacing.

You can static time a distributor by rotating the engine to #1 TDC compression, remove the distributor cap, loosen the distributor so it rotates and pull the kill switch (not remove it but pull on the knob). Rotate the distributor slowly until the point arc and tighten down the distributor.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:43 pm

My cub has a distributer on, and it is hard to start with the hand crank. Is it possible to get a cub with a distributer to start easy with the hand crank.
Yes as Jim Becker states.

Hand cranking only revolves the engine at a few RPMs per minute. Battery/starter cranking will revolve the engine at approximately 150 RPMs.

As is being discussed in this topic. A complete tune up. Use the timing light to set the timing at TDC when hand cranking. This should solve your hard starting problem.

It takes a bit of practice to get the hand cranking procedure down for a particular engine. Example for my Allis Chalmers engine - cold. Safety checks. Throttle set 1/2. Choke full on. Rotate engine until I hear choke sucking fuel - usually one of two cranks. Choke full open. Ignition switch on. Engine should start on next crank turn.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:33 am

Trent do a complete tune up and a valve adjustment , you may get a very nice surprise in the increased performance :D......... I have 2 Cubs and alays did points, plugs , and timing and called it a tune up but then I found farmallcub.com and learned about adjusting the valves ,so I did the valves on the LoBoy and WOW what a differance it made in performance especially with the Woods 59 engaged. I bet my valves had not been adjusted in 25 years they were all tight.......

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:43 pm

OK, had some time to do a little with the Cub today. I turned the distributor, but didn't find higher RPMs. I also turned the idle adjusting screw on the carb to see. No improvements there either. I started to remove the the air cleaner, to clean it up, but it was cold out. I turned my attention to getting the heater installed in the shop, which I obviously put off for too long.

New plugs last year are D16s, I'm pretty sure the valves were adjusted at last year's rebuild also, I know the valves were ground and everything. I just had the TC off for a rebuild, is it convenient to take the cover off to check with the manifold tubes still on?

Somethings zapping the power, just gotta find it!!
Trent McPeak

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:56 pm

Trent,

Just for tarts, put a fresh set of D-21's in it and try it. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:04 pm

Trent, don't assume anything. For instance, have you retorqued the head since installing it? Recheck the valve clearances, timing, ignition, leaky gaskets, fuel system - everything. When you're having a problem, it all needs to be looked at again.

Those hydraulic lines won't be a problem but remove the carburetor so it won't be in your way.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Revisiting this topic- I haven't had a chance to work on the Cub lately, too much going on. I'm gonna get into it soon. I'm replacing the Zenith with the original IH carb (after a Rick P. workover :) ) and I'll try adjusting the valves when I make the swap. New set of D21s to go in it, too.

One thing I notice is that the oil pressure gauge is always pegged high. I always thought it was probably a faulty gauge and it shows pressure, so I thought I was OK. Now I'm not so sure. While I'm changing the plugs would be as good a time as any to clean up the air cleaner. If that little tube connected to the block was plugged, could that cause high oil pressure? Also, retorque the head.

And while the hood is off, I might as well...
Trent McPeak

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:56 am

Trent - the plugged vent line will not cause high oil pressure.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cubbrian
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47631
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub w/9 different 1 point implements
1948 Cub
1948 McCormick W-6
1949 H
1949 M
1961 560 w/ 412 fast hitch plow
1966 140
1973 666
Allis Chalmers C w/sickle mower
Case 400
Economy 14 hp tractor

Postby cubbrian » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 pm

Trent, Rick rebuilt my carb last year at cub tug and it has never ran better for me. You will like it.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: (Lack of?) power questions

Postby Trent M » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Ahhhhhh ... Yessssss!!! Today (finally) I felt the power! Over the winter I gave Dad's 49 a tune up (new points, condensor, rotor, cap, wires, and D21 plugs; adjusted the valves; installed the Rick P. rebuilt IH carb; removed and cleaned the air cleaner; torqued the head bolts) and set the timing at DocFest (thanks Eugene) and then later checked it with a timing light. It was finally dry enough to pull the 23A disk through the garden and WOW what a difference!! No trouble whatsoever.

I have also rebuilt the leaky TC and the steering housing, now the tractor doesn't leak a single drop. Now that its nice and tight, I've caught myself thinking of taking care of some (minor) cosmetic work and a paint job. That is something I never thought I'd worry about, but I REALLY like this tractor and my great-aunt would love to see it all pretty again (it belonged to her and my late great-uncle from 1955-2006).

:D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Trent McPeak

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Re: (Lack of?) power questions

Postby Pony Master » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:35 pm

That kind of sounds like it could involve a couple of mini-fests at your house. Maybe we could find a painting expert to come and show us how it is done right. :twisted:
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.