This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mowers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mowers

Postby siii8873 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:46 am

I think this question has come up before. What would be the best type of mower for use for mowing grass with a cub? I have a riding mower that is getting beyond it's prime and I would like to outfit my cub to take over the grass mowing duty.
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:01 am

Find a nice Wood's 59 finish mower.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:35 am

A Cub with the Woods 59 is quite a handy tool.

In-laws can use it.

Wives can use it.

You'll be fighting off the family for seat time
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

RedneckCub
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 66720

Postby RedneckCub » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:40 am

If you were only closer to Kansas, I could hook you up with a heck of a deal. Its not a woods, its a Kub Klipper but it works great.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:47 pm

There have been a number of previous discussions on the best type of mower. I'm not sure there is one correct answer. It would depend on what your are mowing and how frequently.

I mow close to 30 acres periodically throughout the year. I use a Mott flail mower for areas where I want a reasonably nice looking lawn, a brush hog (with a bigger tractor) to mow pasture, and a couple of Cub Cadets to trim close to trees and a sickle bar mower.

Suggest taking a look at the Mott flail mower.
I have an excuse. CRS.

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:17 pm

I plan to mow a lawn. Is a falai mower good for cutting grass or the finish mower a better option. Would like to find a good used one somewhere in the eastern 1/2 of NY, VT, or NH.
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:07 pm

I plan to mow a lawn. Is a flail mower good for cutting grass or the finish mower a better option.
The flail mower is good at cutting lawns. It is frequently used on golf courses and by highway departments for mowing road sides.

Is one better than the other for a lawn? Not really. It's just a matter of your preference.

Just be aware that the Cub is not highly manuverable for cutting (trimming) around trees, small buildings and similiar things. I use a Cub Cadet for close trimming. And. I have several hydro CCs. The ground speed of CCs is actually faster than my standard Cub. The CCs have a much tighter turning radius than my standard Cub.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:34 pm

If you were closer to me I have a woods l59 on a Massey Harris Pony that I could spare. No brackets, but an excellent condition mower deck.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Mowing is believing, I wasn't too confident that a Wood 59 would work well on a Cub till I did it.... Sweet, is all I can say.

For a lawn it would be good to have turf tires too.

Be warned.... be very careful when shopping for a mower. Especially the Woods 59, but for any mower. There are a lot of model specific parts to mount them. One for a Cub will not fit a Lo Boy for example. The deck is the same but the attachment is much different. Also, be careful about the rotation of the blades..... an L59 (white frame) rotates backwards from a 59 and will not work for a Cub as the blades and the threads on the blade bolt are left. Not sure about all of them, but my 59 C-2 (second Cub version) has R stamped on the top end of the spindle shafts.

The attachment hardware for a Cub

Another tip is that sometimes it is more cost effective to buy a Cub with a mower on it.......
:lol:
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Mark In Richmond
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23069

Postby Mark In Richmond » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:39 pm

My vote is for a Motts. Even better a Motts rear mount fast hitch.

dutchman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dutchman » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:05 am

My father saw a fast hitch mott flail mower at our local dealer last week. What is one worth? This one is mechanically sound with no dents but needs to be painted badly.

Return to “Farmall Cub”