This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

God Rest Ye Cub Tech Geniuses Please help with my dismay!!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shotgun_13601
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13601
eBay ID: shotgun_13601
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub: Big Red
1953 Cub: The Mutt
1943 H
1948 H

God Rest Ye Cub Tech Geniuses Please help with my dismay!!!!

Postby Shotgun_13601 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:02 pm

God rest ye cub tech geniuses, please help with my dismay... :( It seems my 1950 demo did cough up its fan belt this day!!! Can a new one be installed real quick or must the hood be raised. Please send me tidings of comfort and joy and some tips to fix the old boy, because I need to plow all the snow... the &*(%^@& snow... :shock: please help me get it all ready to go!!

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:06 pm

Get a supply of Bandaids for the mechanic. Use a 13/16" open end wrench in front of the upright supports to loosen the fan assembly. Others will add suggestions.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:07 pm

You can replace the belt without taking the hood off. Loosen the fan pulley and lower it (do you need instructions?). Then you can slip the belt over the fan blades one blade at a time. This may be tight if the shroud is still in place. And yes, I am faithful :wink: :lol:
8)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:14 pm

This fine gentleman and Renaissance Man has a pair of ham-fisted paws that don't have a chance of fitting into a confined space. :wink: He would, however be my first choice to cover my back in a dark alley :shock: :lol:

Good luck Andy, wish I was close enough to pitch in.

Bob

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:15 pm

(jingle bells)

Change the belt!
Change the belt!
Change it right away!
Open up your tool box
And grab a wrench today. Hey!
Change the belt!
Change the belt!
Work hard and don't be slow!
Get it done, you'll have some fun,
Go out and plow some snow!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Had the exact same thing happen to my Cub the other day--I didn't know anything was wrong until I saw bits of fan belt sticking out from under the hood. There is no way, I say NO WAY in the world I can get my paws under there to change it.....off with the hood! It's sitting at school now, to be used on my students' Christmas parade float, once the parade's over I am going to pull the hood and get it fixed, where I can work inside on CONCRETE! 8)

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm

It's going to depend on the length your belt is or has to be. It's very close. Close enough that some belts will go over the fan blades and others won't. If the fan shaft has to come out of the slot so the belt can go on over the back side... remove the hood. It will be easier and quicker.

Don't under any circumstance consider cutting the shroud... the world is running out of them.

I think a 4L220W will go over the fan and a 4L200W will require removing the shaft. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:58 pm

George Willer wrote:It's going to depend on the length your belt is or has to be. It's very close. Close enough that some belts will go over the fan blades and others won't. If the fan shaft has to come out of the slot so the belt can go on over the back side... remove the hood. It will be easier and quicker.

Don't under any circumstance consider cutting the shroud... the world is running out of them.

I think a 4L220W will go over the fan and a 4L200W will require removing the shaft. :(

Isn't the 4L220 the generator belt? The pulley belt is a 5L, I think. I have the 4L220 on my generator right now, and it is too long for the adjustment for the generator doesn't go out far enough to tighten the belt. The 4L200 was what was suggested by folks at Cubfest to go over the fan... (if i recall correctly)

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Ironhorse
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironhorse » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:07 pm

Or...call Big Dog up and put the phone over by the Cub and he'll sing that belt right on to that sweet little Cub... :lol: hehehe...good one BD!

I've installed a couple of them without removing the hood shotgun...it ain't fun and I had trouble getting the fan shaft loose on one so I ended up banging my hands up pretty good...concluded that it's easier to remove the hood...good time to check, replace or at least adjust the generator belt too. :wink:
1968 Cub LoBoy w/Woods C-42 Mower
1959 Cub LoBoy w/Danco C-2 Mower
1949 F-Cub/Wagner Loader

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:22 pm

Just for the record, my joints don't bend like they used to so I could remove the hood, replace the belt and re-install the hood in less time than it would take to do it with the hood on.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:46 pm

Bigdog wrote:I can remove the hood, replace the belt and re-install the hood in less time than it would take to do it with the hood on.
Also makes adjusting (tensioning) the belt much easier.

Mike. Go with the next size shorter belt.
I have an excuse. CRS.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:55 pm

WisconsinCubMan wrote:
George Willer wrote:It's going to depend on the length your belt is or has to be. It's very close. Close enough that some belts will go over the fan blades and others won't. If the fan shaft has to come out of the slot so the belt can go on over the back side... remove the hood. It will be easier and quicker.

Isn't the 4L220 the generator belt? The pulley belt is a 5L, I think. I have the 4L220 on my generator right now, and it is too long for the adjustment for the generator doesn't go out far enough to tighten the belt. The 4L200 was what was suggested by folks at Cubfest to go over the fan... (if i recall correctly)

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Good catch, Mike. My bad!

Yes, the generator adjustment is the reason some have to go to the 4L200 which won't go over the fan blades. I'm not sure now but if the slot in the generator bracket were longer to allow adjustment for the 4L220 I think the generator would hit the hood. Possibly a shorter fan belt would allow the 4L220 to work for the generator.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

itllbejohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

could this work?

Postby itllbejohn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:56 pm

Hey,
As an expedient repair, couldn't he tie an old pair of pantyhose around the pulleys until he gets the snow taken care of? I used to keep a couple of pairs of my wifes pantyhose in the trunk of my ford for just such an emergency... :wink:
'49 cub "Ruby"
'57 loboy "stinky"
"If you're gonna dream, dream big"

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Well, George, I am in a decent position right now... I just realized that I left the fan shroud off when I put everything back together! :shock:

So I guess, I will be taking that apart (hood off, anyhow) to put the correct size belt on...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: could this work?

Postby Barnyard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:02 pm

itllbejohn wrote:I used to keep a couple of pairs of my wifes pantyhose in the trunk of my ford for just such an emergency... :wink:

Yeah, right! And she believed you? :lol:

Great lyrics fellas!
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”