This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mower support when front blade in use?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
NawlensGator
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mower support when front blade in use?

Postby NawlensGator » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:24 pm

What's the best way to hang the mower when disconnected from the hydraulics while using the front blade? I've been considereing how to do this while waiting to pick up the blade (which I'll do this week).

On the flip side, how can one support the blade in the up position while using the belly mower?

Thanks in advance for any experience/insight.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:13 pm

Disclaimer: The quick answer is that you are not "supposed" to do what you are trying to do, and instead are "supposed" to use only 1 implement at a time. Using more than one at a time can overload the hydraulics and possibly cause damage to the hydraulic lift mechanism.

OK, now having said that. I would imagine that you could take a piece of chain and loop it over the bellhousing in front of the hydraulic block, and chain the mower in the up position, then disconnect the lift linkage from the mower.

The blade is a bit more difficult to chain in the up position, but if you are creative, I have seen it done. It does not look pretty, but it works. Another option, one that I like to do, is to just un-bolt the two big bolts at the back of the snow blade subframe, where it pivots, and remove the blade and the main lift arm. This leaves the snow blade mounting frame and lift arms attached to the tractor, and will allow you to use the mower like normal.

Good luck,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

NawlensGator
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby NawlensGator » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:52 pm

The plan is to only USE one implement at a time, although both will be attached. The 2 bolt blade removal is a good idea, thank you very much.

Do you think a chain to a bolt in one of the 4 threaded holes in the right side of the tractor frame would work instead of wrapping the chain around the bell housing?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Yes, you can use one of the bolt holes on the implement bosses. As I recall, the Cub 22 mower for the fast hitch tractors had a bracket that bolted on there to hold the mower up while the fast hitch was being used.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:40 pm

Most hardware stores carry chain hooks with a 5/8 bolt hole in them that works great for this type application.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Bigdog wrote:As I recall, the Cub 22 mower for the fast hitch tractors had a bracket that bolted on there to hold the mower up while the fast hitch was being used.

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:12 pm

Get another CUB and you will not have to buy chain.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:47 pm

I always get a kick out of the "get another cub" posts!!---and why not? --never can have too many cubs!! --Right?--lol! thanks; sonny

geibes
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48442

Postby geibes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:01 am

Timely post. I was just looking at a way to keep my mower deck raised the other day. Came up with something similar though not as slick. I was doing it mainly because my hydraulics leak and I want to keep the mower deck up in case I need to get the Cub out in the snow to take water out to the horse's trough or something.

I'd like to hear Ironhorse pipe in on this one. He just picked up that Cub with the loader, mower, and rear blade all mounted at the same time.
geibes
1953 Cub - "Fenton Tiger Cub"
Spare parts - fast hitch, disk, one bottom plow, grader blade, C2 mower, wagon

NawlensGator
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby NawlensGator » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:10 am

Thanks muleboss, another cub would certainly solve that problem!!
I actually did that for my 140's 'cause I got tired of switching implements.

The mower is a Woods 42 and there aren't any good attachment points for a chain on the front side of the deck. There is a round housing (3" diam?) behind the spindle and pulley that I'll probably have to attach to support it.

I picked up the blade last night and it's in really good shape. I was thinking one of Rick's trailer tie down brackets bolted to the side would provide a good place to attach a chain to hold the mower up.

Thanks for the pic of the cub 22 cutter attachment.