This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Diesel Cubs???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:34 am

gitractorman wrote:Well, I've been watching this thread and you guys are cracking me up. Super A, you have got to cool off a bit.
Bill

Y'all, I tell you I'm not riled at anybody. Like I said it's your tractor, do what you wish. I guess I don't see a diesel conversion being worth anything because of my perspective--a Cub is perhaps the perfect cultivating tractor, excellent for mowing, and other light draft jobs. It's hard for me to see it for much of anything else. On our farm, we couldn't use it for much else. THe pto is backwards, wrong hitch, etc. etc. etc. Also, I love tractors, but when I buy one, I usually have something in mind that it can do--even if it's a "toy." That's my idea of fun I guess....

My point is, a diesel cub in my eyes is reinventing the wheel, except instead of being perfectly round like a wheel should be, this wheel will end up being more egg shaped-it'll never be much because of the inherent Cub characteristics that a motor swap does not address. There are way better alternatives out there.

That said, if someone simply must do a diesel conversion, I suggest you contact John Kinsenbaw.....(I butchered the spelling of his name, but do a Google for Kinze planters.) He is well known for repowering big JD's and others with Detroit Diesels. How would a big "Dee-troit" look in a Cub? :wink:

Here's another great alternative, it's even a Farmall! :P

Al

(I still wouldn't have a diesel Cub on a July Christmas Tree though..... :D :wink: )
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:45 am

When considering motivation it's not necessary for the project to be practical... only possible. We have to understand the difference between need and want. :lol:

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Ironhorse
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironhorse » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:40 am

George...now just admit it...you or Rick neither one consider "need or want" in your recipes for cooking up customized Cubs :roll: ...the secret is out...you just can't help yourselves...you neither one have shops...you have laboratories and your creations are the result of lightening striking steel in a precisely controlled environment... :shock: they're manned 24/7 by scientists and lab techs...we know about those two foot thick walls and 12 foot fences topped with barbed wire... :evil: oh yes...and did I mention the extraterrestrial assistance from your friends via.... :spacecraft: :?: :?: :?: what's up with that???... :x
1968 Cub LoBoy w/Woods C-42 Mower
1959 Cub LoBoy w/Danco C-2 Mower
1949 F-Cub/Wagner Loader

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:48 am

Ironhorse wrote:we know about those two foot thick walls . . .

That is just to keep Big Dog out.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 am

Jim Jim Jim you got let out all the secrets.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Ironhorse
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ironhorse » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 pm

Jim Becker wrote:That is just to keep Big Dog out.

Jim...I think BD has fooled us all... :? the flying saucer is Cub powered and Big Dog's the pilot!!!... :cry:
1968 Cub LoBoy w/Woods C-42 Mower
1959 Cub LoBoy w/Danco C-2 Mower
1949 F-Cub/Wagner Loader

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:That is just to keep Big Dog out.

Jim...I think BD has fooled us all... :? the flying saucer is Cub powered and Big Dog's the pilot!!!... :cry:

And a diesel Cub at that :wink: :lol:
8)

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Rick(billyandmillie) wrote:I borrowed this picture from Lildog's Cubfest 05 gallery. Would I make another just like it---NO
Is it practical---NO
Does it get used much----NO
Is it economical----NO
Does it have issues from time to time----YES
But, I'm glad I did the project. It was fun. Mainly I was tired of people saying how "under powered" the cubs are. That's what fueled my "want to"

The diesel project may or may not happen, but it'd be fun to try. Cubs get torn apart everyday. "Harley" is retired to shows only, What a Life :D

Rick

the only thing that is important is:
1. was it fun to make
2. is it fun to take for a ride once in awhile
3. did it cause bankruptcy
4. even the correct police look at it and say "wow, it is neat"

it doesn't need to be practical. it is a hobbie if I had the knowledge and money I would build a diesel cub. the fuel economy would be outstanding. would work great for raking hay and most of my farm equipment is diesel.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:44 pm

Rick(billyandmillie) wrote:I forgot one small detail---

Did "Harley" beat Rambo and Blackie in the Cubtug-----YES

Hey, Ralph! We all know Rick didn't bring Harley to the Cubtug when he knew Rusty and Flamey were going to be there. He brought that old dog, Ugly, and promptly sold it. :shock: :wink:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:42 pm

I pulled out of my driveway on saturday and had a tractor infront of me. It said "Farmall" on the roof of the cab. He pulled over to let me by and it was a new Case IH 4x4 tractor. I never seen one before...

I wonder if there are any older diesel engines with long connecting rods(gobs of torque @ very low rpms). I think running an older engine would look neat in a tractor. I just picked up two old wisconsin AEN engines for a tractor project down the road. These have the wico mags and the zenith carbs. I think seeing that big one lunger on a garden tractor would look cool.

Both cubs pictured above look awesome...
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:19 pm

How about a Lister, Bill? Long stroke and lots of torque! You'll need a taller seat to see over it and put extra air in the front tires, it's about 1500 lbs heavier than the Wisconsin.

"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:20 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:How about a Lister, Bill? Long stroke and lots of torque! You'll need a taller seat to see over it and put extra air in the front tires, it's about 1500 lbs heavier than the Wisconsin.

And fun to chase around the shop :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)

2cubs2cases
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2cubs2cases » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:05 pm

Wisconsin made diesel engines that were used in Bobcats. That might work as well.
1956 Farmall Cub,1952 Cub Hi Crop, 1959 Case 420b, 1960 Case 530ck Backhoe

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:42 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I Resemble that :wink:

:{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

:?: Dancing with the lister :?:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:45 am

Cowboy wrote::oops: :oops: :oops:

I Resemble that :wink:

:{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

:?: Dancing with the lister :?:

Now that's funny :!: :lol: :lol:
8)

Return to “Farmall Cub”