This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Quick and dirty rain protection

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Quick and dirty rain protection

Postby drspiff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:01 pm

There you are, right in the middle of _____________, and you have lost the race against the rain. Ok, throw a piece of plastic over the area you were working on. Smart move! It will keep the rain out as long as it stays in place. Usually on the order of 5 to 10 seconds. The slightest wind and your rain protection is doing a good job of protecting your fence.

So you run around looking for something to secure the plastic. Bungie cords? Where are you going to hook them up? Tape? You'll end up wrapped in tape watching the plastic blowing toward the neighbor's yard.

Grab a couple of pieces of chain. I'm sure you have some pieces of chain that are 4' to 6' in length. If not, invest in some and you will wonder how you ever lived without them. Lay the chain over the plastic and call it done. If you have a long piece, don't wrap the chain around the item being protected. Instead, drape the chain in a series of "S" curves.

Here is the motor of the #3 Cub covered with a plastic bag and weighted with chains.

Will this latchup hold through a hurricane? No, but not much does, and this is only a temporary thing. As soon as the weather moderates, you can either finish what you started or come up with more reliable protection.

Rick (new uses for old things) Dulas

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:12 pm

Sure wish the weather would moderate soon :!: it's only 77 now, this winter is killing me :!: :lol: :lol:
8)

CTdave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06870

Postby CTdave » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Donny M wrote:Sure wish the weather would moderate soon :!: it's only 77 now, this winter is killing me :!: :lol: :lol:
8)

:evil:
'47 Circle Cub serial # 10xx
'59 lowboy. 1000 loader & fast hitch
'48 Cub, resto w/planter/fertilizer
629 utility wagon
Fast hitch brush hog, plows and landscape rake.
Cultivators, 54a blade

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:46 pm

Thanks a bunch for rubbing it in Donny. Least I am glad not on I80 in the mountains of California.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:50 pm

beaconlight wrote:Thanks a bunch for rubbing it in Donny. Least I am glad not on I80 in the mountains of California.

Lived in Maine for 13 years, near Lake Tahoe for 16, I have paid my dues :!: Time to gloat :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:53 pm

Donny M wrote:Sure wish the weather would moderate soon :!: it's only 77 now, this winter is killing me :!: :lol: :lol:
8)

Back in December I had a choice at work. Go to Dallas for training January 6 and come home on January 12 meaning I would be out of this dismal weather, or go later in the year so I would not miss George's up coming CubFest. Nothing against Dallas and the great state of Texas, but I'm going to Fremont Ohio. You can't say I don't have my priorities in order.
Last edited by Barnyard on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:08 pm

I love the 4 seasons!!!Though its gonna be in the 50 here,I still can't wait till the ground freezes hard[I was today thank GOD]The thawing is happing right now.I got 2 truck loads of wood[Nice to have friends]and moved it to the basement with the 49 cub and trailer before the ground thawed.Now I'm ready for some single and below digits.77 degrees would kill me right now.Splitting wood and stuff today,got home and was soaked.Where is the nice cold weather????I'm sure its on the way!!!!!SNOW TIME!!!!!KETCHAM!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ps the plastic and chain job would make it through a hurricane
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:43 pm

Rick, one word of warning, that plastic will sweat inside, so don't leave it on any longer than necessary.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:53 pm

Donny M wrote:
beaconlight wrote:Thanks a bunch for rubbing it in Donny. Least I am glad not on I80 in the mountains of California.

Lived in Maine for 13 years, near Lake Tahoe for 16, I have paid my dues :!: Time to gloat :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8)

I have lived in Northern Ontario for 20 years, North West Territories for 3 years, Ellesemere Island for 2 6 month tours, 2-1/2 years in the Black Forest and enjoyed every moment of winter there.

I lived 3 years in LA.. 85 degrees, fires, smoke, traffic, 3 hour commutes home, weirdos with guns... Talk about paying dues... My time to wonder why I ever thought winter without snow was enjoyable :roll: :wink: :oops: :roll: :!: :big smile:

View from the shop side door Thursday evening after the big storm.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Rick, one word of warning, that plastic will sweat inside, so don't leave it on any longer than necessary.

Excellent point! I should have been more clear that this is an idea for those times when you are caught short. And NOT for long term storage.

I seem to recall something about being shipwrecked on a desert isle and using a piece of plastic as a solar water still. But that is an entirely different shaggy dog...

Rick (accepts some suggestions) Dulas