This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My sons tractor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eagle
10+ Years
10+ Years

My sons tractor

Postby Eagle » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:06 am

Good morning, well we did it we pull the old tractor out of the barn got it started and it is stuck in reverse. My son drove it backwards through the wood to our house. With the help of all the information that I had read from you guys talking to each other, we gave it a look see. We took the shifter plate off and looked in side. we were afraid to touch anything just walked around and look at if for a while then we started looking at pictures of other transmissions for sale on this site and noticed that the shift fork was loose and not were it should be for neutral. So we worked to get the shift handle in to the fork and put 2 bolts in the plate to hold it down and shifted the tractor in to neutral, took the shift handle off and tightened the bolt on the shift fork. Check the other side to make sure it was tight and put it all back together. The gears look clean no chips or broke teeth, however the inside looks like mud and no oil in the bottom of the case. What should it look like?

My son drove it all over the farm and he says it works great no problems.
We use to plow the garden with it, looking forward to trying that again this summer. We also checked the serial number with what you have listed if we are correct it is a 1948. I also took a couple of pictures but I am not sure how to post them.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:14 am

First,change the mud[gear oil +water]!!!Glad to hear ya fix the shifter problem.Do the fluid changes,maybe a tune up.Sounds like you are ready to roll!!!!Kevin :D :D
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:15 am

Nice work Eagle! I suggest you get a couple of gallons of kerosene and drive around under no-load conditions for 20 - 30 minutes with that in the transmission case and then drain. If the inside still looks dirty repeat the procedure. Then once it looks clean, fill with the proper amount of lube.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eagle
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eagle » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:37 am

Thanks kevin, and Bigdog for the suggestions. I am curious if we did the serial number thing it is a 24000 series number.

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Good job, Eagle.

Just a word of caution - don't overfill that transmission with new lube. Stick to the recommended 3.5 pts. Overfilling can cause all kinds of problems :cry: There is a plug on the left side of the transmission for checking the fluid level.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Yes Eagle you did it right 24000 falls in the 1948. have fun
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:50 pm

After the kerosene cleaning, I flush the tranny with a hose and water. Another suggestion is that I do all of my heavy powerwashing on a "new" Cub prior to changing the fluids, so that I don't get more water in it.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Clem wrote:After the kerosene cleaning, I flush the tranny with a hose and water. Another suggestion is that I do all of my heavy powerwashing on a "new" Cub prior to changing the fluids, so that I don't get more water in it.

Just a different opinion, but I would not rince it out with water, you would be better off to have a little kerosene in it than a little water.
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”