This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transporting 3 Cubs at once

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mountain Laurel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12472
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 1949 Farmall Cub

Transporting 3 Cubs at once

Postby Mountain Laurel » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Yes, I'm a brand new Cub owner. Now that I've gone and bought the whole lot (take all 3 or no deal) am I crazy to think I can haul these all at once?

3 Cubs need to go from a old cow barn to my place about 70 country miles away. Any suggestions from someone with experience will be appreciated.

We will have a dump truck and also large equipment trailer available. Will rent a winch, or will a come-along be enough?

Only one tractor runs (maybe) so I can't count on being able to use it to pull the others out of the barn.

Please advise!

Laurel

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Laurel - welcome to the forum. If the trailer is at least 16 feet long you will probably be OK hauling one in the dump truck and two on the trailer. I don't know how much help you plan on having but getting a cub into the back of a dump truck will not be easy unless you have a loading dock available. Consider enlisting some experienced help with this project if you have none. A come-along will certainly get a non-running cub onto a trailer but a winch will make the job much easier.
If you're not comfortable with the project consider hiring it done.
If you will add your location to your profile perhaps someone on the forum who is close to you will offer some assistance.
Good luck with your project and if we can help just let us know.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Laurel,
First of all, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find this group to be top notch, and you won't believe the information available here.

Hauling 3 cubs, NO Problem. The Cub tractor is about 8-feet long, and anywhere from about 4 to 6 feet wide, depending on the wheel spacing setup. Each tractor weighs between 1200# and 2000#, depending on implements, wheel weights, loaded tires, etc.

I have easily hauled two cubs, back to back, on a 16-foot landscape style trailer behind my Dodge Ram 2500. If you have a dump truck and an equipment trailer, the weight should be no problem. If two of the tractors have the wheels set in at the narrowest settings, you may be able to get them side by side, with the third behind it, or, if your trailer is at least 24-foot long, you should be able to get all three in a row.

Do be careful when strapping them down, as there are several weak spots on the Cub, which unfortunately are often the easiest tie down points. In the rear, try to tie down to the drawbar, strap through the tire/rim/dish space, or around the axle. In the front, try to tie the front axle as close as you can to the center, or even better yet, try to use the implement mounting points on the torque tube. Don't go crazy with a chain binder, as most people do with construction equipment, as the Cub will hardly take that kind of torque. Most of us use typical nylon ratchet straps on multiple points.

Also be careful to watch the obvious top-heavy load, as most of the weight on a cub is very high off of the ground, and putting it on a trailer just makes it that much higher.

Finally, get some pictures. Everyone loves to see what we have done, and it is always nice to see new members of the faimly going to a good home.

Welcome,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:01 pm

Welcome MountainLaurel to the Forum and to the Farmall Cub Family. Nice to have you and your're starting out with a bang, 3 Cubs to begin with, Wow, Pete

Robert
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Robert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Went to Ohio last month with a pick-up and a 16 foot trailer, took back 3 cubs,2 belly mowers, 2 sickle bars, 2 grader blades, full set of culivators, spray barrel rig, and I know there was something else too, can't remeber, all on the trailer. About 800 miles one way.

Robert
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Robert » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm

I do have a pictue, but I don't know how to post it. I took it with my phone while getting gas. I can e-mail it to someone if they can post it.

Stick
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stick » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Robert wrote:Went to Ohio last month with a pick-up and a 16 foot trailer, took back 3 cubs,2 belly mowers, 2 sickle bars, 2 grader blades, full set of culivators, spray barrel rig, and I know there was something else too, can't remeber, all on the trailer. About 800 miles one way.

Do you have any pics of this. I can only get 2 on my 18ft car trailer. Did you have them side ways.

Aslong as you can strap them down take as many as you can. :)
Stick-Tastic

1950 "Demostrator" White (Casper)
1955 Cub High Crop
1965 Allis Chalmers Big Ten's
1941 JD H
35 JD Unstyled A (Open Fan Shaft)
1949 JD A
1949 JD BN
1936 JD B
2- 1937 BN
1937 JD B
1932 JD GP
2-1941 CASE VC

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Robert, send me the pic and I will post it for you.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Robert !!! Did you clear that transaction first with Bigdog ??? You might wanna lay low for awhile or better yet - the WPP !! (witless protection program as a great American once said) . Just trying to help. Craig

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Laurel asked me to post his new aquisitions also, so here ya' go.

Congrats Laurel and welcome to the Forum

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Things like the mounted plow add quite a bit to the 8' length. Allow for that in thinking about how much you can load at one time.

Are there other implements not on the tractors that need to be loaded up too?

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Wow!!!3 at once.Get a good deal on them??BD ya must be slackin!!!NY state might be out of the radar though.Nice tractors,that will keep ya busy for a while!!!If its to much I can come over and take one off yours hands for ya.Kevin :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:39 pm

If you have some good,stout planks to use for ramps, cut the ends on a slant to let the tractor roll onto them easier and you should be able to put one Cub in the dump body. If one Cub won't run, but isn't stuck, try this-- I put trans. in reverse and back Cub up the ramps with a hand crank. Won't set any speed records, but it will get the job done.
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:06 pm

I got 3 Cubs on a 21' trailer along with some other stuff. However, one of the Cubs had no radiator bolster and we were able to slide the snub-nosed Cub under the rear end on the the middle Cub.

Here is a picture of the trailer after unloading had begun.

If you can load sideways, that would be the best bet. But a pipetop trailer like this one severely limits your options. If the trip is only 70 miles, I would take 2 on the 16' trailer and come back for the last Cub and whatever implements. Yes, it is an extra 140 miles, but a lot less stress than trying to load a Cub into a dump truck.

Rick (easy is better than hard) Dulas

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:20 pm

And now here is Robert's trailer with the load he smuggled out of Ohio. It's the best I could do with a cell phone pic.

I just checked my barn and all thirteen are still there. Of course my hi-tech security system does a good job ogf protecting things when she's not sleeping. I know he couldn't get near Bigdog's stash with out setting off sirens that can be heard as far away as George Willer's.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”