This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator stop leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Radiator stop leak

Postby Former Member » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 pm

I fix something and break somthin else :( I was just out putting the cultivators on Elmo(53 cub) so that I could shim and tighten them. They were really sloppy.

I got them on and adjusted their depth, started Elmo to make sure I had clearance everywhere.

Before I started I had no leaks or drips.

When I shut him off, I noticed a drip. It is raining here with wind and there is now a stream coming in the barn. I had plywood under elmo to lay on(makeshift bridge). after putting all my tools away there was a puddle under him.

I get a drip every 2-3 seconds. It is coming down around the hydrolic pump somewhere above the bracket the cultivator hooks to.

I do not want to do a teardown until fall. We dont get snow so I wont need it till spring.

?? Will it hurt anything permanantly to put some radiator stop leak in it? I know it isn't a permanant fix, but will it ruin anything.

Thanks, Dale

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Dale - stop leak products do not work well in thermo-syphon systems due to lack of a water pump to create circulation. If the leak is that minor, I'd just watch the level and keep topping it off now and then. You may find it will seal itself after time. If it doesen't, it will be easier to find.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks Bigdog.

I have found that adding more-oil,gear lube hydrolic fluid,antifreeze Is always less expensive than a total teardown unless you have to. When you have worked around old stuff all your life, it is second nature to keep an eye on everything. fluids-nuts etc..

I bought by my old farm( built in '53 just like Elmo) about 2 years ago. Told the lazy old man that owned it to "leave the depris where it lies". It took me over a year to get to the back of the loft in the barn.

I've found 20 gal. of hy-tran 10 gal. gear oil and about 8 gal of antifreeze.
So topping of is no problem.

Thanks again, Dale

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:55 pm

dshawz wrote:I bought by my old farm( built in '53 just like Elmo) about 2 years ago. Told the lazy old man that owned it to "leave the depris where it lies". It took me over a year to get to the back of the loft in the barn.

Dale, I was in the same boat when I bought my place 4 years ago. The old guy had died and the son never picked up anything. I carried 50 bags of trash out of the two barns. Those were 55 gallon bags too. Just this past fall I finally dug the JD 490 seeder out of the one corner so I could work back there. I'm still finding things.

Btw, my wife sent that mail to you this morning. She said her friend lives in the 2200 block of Ona Rd in Crossville.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm

My place was just "trashed".All of it is gone now and the place is getting nicer every day.Wish the guy that moved out left something decent here.NOT the case.Keep an eye on the leak,I don't like stop leak in anything!!!Kevin ex partsman :? :?
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:29 pm

Couple of thoughts.

If you have a pressureized radiator cap - loosen the cap on the radiator - leave it loose.

Is the upper radiator hose leaking around either the water manifold or radiator neck?

Next thought. Coolant dripping out of the overflow tube.

After son purchased his acreage - we hauled 10 trailer loads of scrap metal to the scrap yard. Had an individual haul off several cars and a small camper and several trailer loads of metal. There were full garbage bags laying around the property. We would fill two garbage cans and set them out each week. It took several years to clean up most of the property. I have another trailer load of scrap metal pulled out of ditches ready for the scrap yard. There is still one or two smaller dump locations to clean up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:07 pm

If the radiator leak is accessible, dry it well, apply Liquid Nails from the outside, let it set for an hour. Temporary repair that may last for years. But a leak at another place may soon follow.
Luck favors those who are prepared