This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thanks to all from Goldencub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
goldencub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01770
Circle of Safety: Y

Thanks to all from Goldencub

Postby goldencub » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:09 pm

I'm doing this as a new topic to be sure that everyone knows how much I appreciate the welcome!! This will be a fun forum to monitor.

Ed from Rehoboth - I bought my Cub in 1970 from a fellow in Rehoboth. His name was Gustafson. I think he was a "gentleman" farmer who was moving to upper New York State and had no need to take the tractor with him.

John - thanks for the compression figures. I dread to find out what my poor old cylinders will read!

Bill and Kevin - I hang my head in shame and meekly ask "what is a tune-up"? Maud has not had a tune-up since I've owned her - 37 years. During that time, my attention was turned to restoring a 1939 Ford woody, including all new wood, and then a 1940 Ford convertible, which I still own. Every single year during that time, the Cub did the chores that were asked of her - no parades - without complaint. Now, I think she is saying "hey, what about me?" and I have decided to make it up to her this summer. I will, no doubt, have more questions for the forum as the process unfolds.

Bill as answered the stoneboat question. My design came from my father. It is just a 16' piece of 2 x 12 pressure treated wood with an 8' length of the same stuff on each side of the rear half. This means I only have a 1 1/2 lift to get heavy stuff up on the boat. And, the almost 3' width of the flat bottom - no shoes or skids - means I can cross the lawn or driveway with almost no sign that I've been there. If anybody wants more details about this device, please let me know.

Again - thanks for the welcome. Al
Maud - 1947 Cub #4364
Everything's better with Golden Retrievers, an old Ford V8 and a Cub!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:40 pm

A tune up is replacing ignition items the wear out over time or readjusting them to compensate for wear. The condensers eventually become defective. The points become dirty and need to be cleaned, or they become pitted which changes the gap between the two. The rotor can become worn from the constant sparking to the towers of the distributor cap. Their can be a carbon trail deposited inside the dist cap. All these things can affect the strength and timing of the spark and do have an effect on power. The spark plugs can become dirty and or have the electrodes wear so that the gap changes. These things also affect spark and through this power. The fuel system can become starved for fuel by a plugged screen in the tank, at the fuel sediment bowl, at the screen at the carburetor inlet or dirt in the main jet(the brass hex shape out to the side of your carburetor. The needle valve in the carburetor can hang up and let insufficient fuel in. Worn spark plug wires can leak spark and also make a cub seem weak. At the time you check, adjust and or replace the ignition parts you should check and or reset the valve gap. Valves not opening sufficiently to let enough fuel in or exhaust out can affect power also. A plugged air intake can also. An often over looked power robber can be a blocked exhaust system. The spark timing ( the point in the compression stroke the spark sparks) can affect power also.
A tune up is doing all or many of these things.
Search using the search feature at the top of the page and look in the manuals also at the top to get your self familiar with the different terms and how the changes and adjustments are accomplished. Go to a cub fest if there is one not to far from you. There may be others with cubs not far from you willing to help too.
I had a cub lowboy I was about to give up on because of no power. I couldn't get the spark plugs out to replace them. I ended up taking the hood off and using a piece of pipe on a 1/2 inch socket wrench breaker bar. The previous owner put the wrong style spark plugs in and there was a considerable compression leak thru the threads of the plugs.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:26 pm

WOW 37 years!!!I check mine every year to see how they are.Spring,oil changes,check over real good.Oil cups for the air intake get changed,grease real good[do quite a few times during the year].kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:46 am

If you can wait a bit, I will be having a Cubfest, May31, and June1. We could do it there, if you have a way to transport it. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:24 pm

Welcome neighbor!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”