This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Broken Ear Support (the final chapter)+ new left side pic

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:04 am

dirt devil wrote: So it would be $70 for any combo of two.

That's the way I read it...
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:50 am

Dave, Let me know what part is confusing to you and I'll try to clear it up. If you order just one support(choice of lt. or rt., the cost will be $40. If you buy more than just one support(any combination), the cost drops down to $35 each. I may even go alittle cheaper on bigger orders.

Maybe the cost list should look something like this

0-1 = $40ea
2-6 = $35ea
7-? = $30ea

any combination.

It's easier to make a bunch at once, while everything is all set up(lathe, saw, bender, welder,etc) I don't have the room to buy a ton of steel and make gobs of each part and have them setting around, so to keep from tripping over everything, I make stuff as the orders come in. Plus, if a better change occurs, I don't have unwanted parts laying around.
I could sell all the products abit cheaper if they were bare steel, but looks like most have issues of getting their parts primed/painted without warm weather. That's why I decided to just paint everything and help everyone out, and to keep your wives on your good side :D or vise/versa.

Lets here your suggestions. What method do you want, within' reason :shock: I'm easy to get along with.

Rick

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:53 am

Question: Is there one side of the engine block that is more prone to break than the other?

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:56 am

Nice looking job Rick looks great!!!!!!

Anyone can make anything but it has to look professional and you always do just that way to go keep up the awesome work. Designing it is just the beginning its planting the seed sort of speak, but its seeing the actual piece in place doiing what it was designed for that counts. And a great paint job matters too.

Retirement is awesome mine started when i was just 52 when i became disabled but we have to play the hand that god deals us. Luckily I had a warning a few years back it was going to happen so i purchased plenty of fishing stuff and it boiled over into tractors. I can still do a little bit...... :roll:

I fish heavy in the spring as much as i can for an hour or so. I'm trying for a new state record large mouth bass so far i'm up to 10lbs and i've seen bigger ones. I've caught some awesome 30" pickerel too they are like there big brothers too(pike) in being just as mean. My point is get out there when the sun first breaks the daylite and watch nature at its finest. I've seen fresh water otters splashing the fawns at the shoreline with water. It was fun to watch in person rather than on tv, wild america is all around us if you get out there early in the am...
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:05 am

Rudi I am planing on meeting EZ early april or june 8 which ever works out. I am taking the 54 snow plow he bought from George and he is picking it up in the UP. Check with him he might take them across and mail them to you.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:09 am

Question: Is there one side of the engine block that is more prone to break than the other?
Tim, the right side is prone to break first, because of the cub's offset design. There's alot of cubs out there with welded up ears. Not as good as a replacement block, but alot of people don't have the money or resources to find another block, so they weld it up and hope for the best. Eventually the left ear would also break, if something wasn't done to the right side. If the right ear and the left ear are both broke, you already know what happened :shock:

My .02,
Rick

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:15 am

Rick I was thinking for heavy use to put rails like the larger farmalls have on both sides to connect the first set of threaded bolts on the driveshaft tube to the front bolster. I was thinking of putting a plate between the bolster and the engine were they meet(3/8" plate) then connect the channel with holes drilled in it for appearance from the rear of the bell housing to the 3/8" plate. Heavy use would be a FEL (front end loader). It would be a higher subframe that could also connect to every point on the tractor for strength front to rear too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:05 am

Rick(billyandmillie) wrote:
Tim, the right side is prone to break first, because of the cub's offset design. There's alot of cubs out there with welded up ears.

I agree with that. I have seen quite a few blocks broken/patched on the right side only. But I don't recall ever seeing one that was broken on the left that was not also broken on the right. I have seen one or two broken steering gear housings, so even with the brace, the tractor isn't indestructable. But tractors broken that way seem to be fairly rare.

I would strongly recommend a right side brace on any tractor with one of the front hitches. (I wouldn't have a front hitch without one!) I also recommend one on each side for tractors with loaders, especially the loaders that do not attach to the front implement socket.

dirt devil
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 04461
Skype Name: dirtdevil919
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1963 Farmall Cub
1965 IH Cub Lo Boy
1964 Cub Cadet 100
1967 Cub Cadet 123

Postby dirt devil » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Rick

That makes perfect since now. I wasn't working with coffee this morning when I read it. :oops:

I can see at least getting one.

Dave
Dave

billboyM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30519
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby billboyM » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Rick,
I have to say you've done an awsome job with this one!!! I have a lots of admiration for your work & lots of respect for all of your projects!!
You'll probably sell a whole bunch of these...
Good luck & congratulations on your new venture..
If it ain't broke... don't break it!

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks Rick and Jim. I was thinking the same so I will just order one for the right side.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Rick:

So.. here is my question. For Ellie and Granny, neither will have anything on the front bigger than a Cub-54/54-A and possibly the hitch setup with the receiver. Would 1 brace per cub (as in right side) be sufficient? If so, then consider a pair ordered. I don't much care if they are painted or not, as I gotta paint anyways, but if everyone else is getting em painted, I would like 2150 please and thank you.

I will probably order up a pair of skids as well. Although they won't be mailed. Other arrangements are being made for delivery. I might even order up a mirror/basket/refreshment centre as well :idea: :!:

Toys, decisions... just too much enjoyment in one post :!: :wink: :big smile:

If there is one item/combination that you should consider making more of are those two parts for my Hydraulic Project. Those would be a winner/seller for sure. Those are just pure class and fantastic fabrication... Best of the Best :!: :applause:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:55 pm

NOw, don't take this wrong. Both of those parts look excellent, I wish I had the tools and the talent to work with metal like that. But...will they really do that much good if you get the cub "in a bind" enough to break something? Or will it just break anyway, but maybe at the clutch housing instead?

Not criticizing, just curious....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:06 pm

I guess if you put anything in a big of enough bind you're gonna bust it. I think I would rather lose a torque tube than an engine. The benefit I see of these is you have less chance of losing anything.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Sure you could still break something. What this does is address a well-known problem. The ear of the block is cantilevered on a relatively thin piece of cast, so its really no surprise that it breaks. Like post tensioning concrete, the tension in the rod has to be overcome before the ear can crack. This significantly reduce the chances of doing that. The torque tube is not cantilevered out there like the block ear, so the chances of breaking it are less than the chances of cracking an unsupported ear. This idea is not not new, see GW and Lombard's fixes, as well as many other attempts that you see from time to time. What is new is that they are now readily available to us, look fantastic, and at a more than fair price for custom work. Thank you very much Rick!!
Trent McPeak