This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Farmall cub

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:01 am

Scooter:

Sorry for delay. 3 daughters, 3 apartments, 2 cities, 2 days.. is a bit hard on an old man...

scooter6463 wrote:My inlaws have a farmall cub they use on their hobby farm. It has been a great little tractor. It has had a problem for about a year now. It will not start unless you pull start start it with a truck. It fires right up then, and will run great without problems. Anyone got any suggestions that I can send their way? Thank you.

You will find much of what you need at the links that the abbreviated Welcome Wagon :arrow: points :arrow: to:

Rudi wrote:Welcome to the Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. ImageManual Server and it will take you directly to the Cub Manual Server where you will find a bunch of really useful links.

Not having a hand crank is not a major problem. Any competent metal worker can fab one up in less time than it takes to say "Jack's Yer Uncle"in 3 languages ! :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

scooter6463
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby scooter6463 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:56 pm

I am going to be going up to look at the tractor wed.or thurs. I am am taking some one who has much more knowledge than myself. If we determine that the magneto is not working, and the tips from you do not free it up, I would like to remove it so it can be look at and fixed if needed. How do I remove the magneto from the cub without losing the timing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

scooter6463
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby scooter6463 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Also, I talked to the father-in law. He does have the hand crank. We will be using that method to find out if the magneto is "clicking".

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:05 pm

Scooter - crank the engine until #1 cylinder is at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke. Note the position of the rotor. Make sure no one moves the engine while the mag is off the tractor. When you re-install the mag make sure it is lined up in the same location.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:42 pm

To elaborate a little on what Bigdog said:

There is a pointer on the front engine cover. Turn the engine slowly until the notch in the crankshaft pulley is directly at the pointer. If your pulley has 2 notches (they will be ~3/4 inch apart), use the second one. This will put the engine at TDC compression on either cylinder 1 or 4. You don't care which.

When the magneto is loosened, it can be rotated to set the timing. Before loosening it, scratch a small witness mark on the block and the magneto to reset the rotation later.

Remove the distributor cap and note which way the rotor is pointing.

Unhook the wires (noting where each one was) and unbolt the magneto.

DON"T MOVE THE ENGINE WHILE THE MAGNETO IS OFF.

When you are ready to reinstall:

Rotate the magneto BACKWARDS (counter clockwise) until the rotor is pointing to the position noted earlier.

Bolt the magneto back in place and line up the witness marks. Tighten the bolts.

Put the wires back where they were.

Done.

Return to “Farmall Cub”