This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

help, elmo quit

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: help, elmo quit

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:31 pm

I talked to a friend today that is in the local antique tractor club. From what I told him, if both 1 and 3 are next to each other, he thinks that the head gasket between the cylinders has opened up letting them cross over to each other?
The C60 engine is an inline 4 cylinder engine. The cylinders are numbered from the radiator to the rear of the tractor in the following order: 1,2,3 & 4.

In any event, It appears the next step is to remove the head.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Ok, I admit it, I am an idiot.
All this time I have been refering to the fireing order Not the cylinder :oops: :oops:
Here is the scoop-really
#1 has no compresion-plug is a clean light brown
#2 has no compresion-plug is a clean light brown
#3 has some compression-some suction- plug is white
#4 Has good compression-plug is white

Sorry for the confusion-I blame it on 3yrs of narcotic pain meds-We will pull the head this week and let y'all know what we find.

Eugene, thanks for all the help and advice. Sorry for the rabbit trails, I think we are on the right -Path- now.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 pm

I know why Elmo quit!!!!!!
Blown head gasket between cylinders 1 & 2. My cylinders all look good, valves are not stuck although there is a quite a bit of carbon build up on the non moving parts of the cumbustion chambers. (Surfaces are all rough)
What is the best/safest way to remove this? (chemicals-wire brush-4" grinder :lol: )
Only 1 of the head bolts was tight(a 9/16 open end wrench got some) The one that was tight snapped as the threads went into the head. It turned enough to clear the block then snapped, it looked like it was bent. Both sides of the gasket were COVERED with orange permatex. YUK
I have drained the oil and will be removing the pan and cleaning everything with kerosene. When I emptied the antifreeze it all came out clean and the plug came off easily. It must have had some engine work because of the permatex. I have read some posts of ? cross hatching of the cylinder walls?-mine are smooth.

On another note, I found out why my TC leaks and I will be in the market for a new one or parts. I have no broken ears on my tractor, but the TC has been brazed all the way around just behind the front plate. The hydro cylinder was also welded and is rough/pitted. They must of hit something so hard it snapped the case and the cylinder :shock: I bet the driver went airborn.

I have misplaced the camera, but I will get pics tomoro.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 pm

GREAT to hear that you found out the reason, Dale!! Just a little bit of detective work pays off everytime, doesn't it? How quickly can you get it back together before plowing time is done??

I am happy for ya!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:02 pm

I am done plowing for now. I need to take it easy for the next couple weeks. I have been overdoing it and the wife and Dr. laid down the law. I use to weigh 400lb and it tore up my body with athritis and worst of all my heart is worn out from working so hard pumping thru that fat.(only works about 55%).(had gastric bypass and lost 200-gained back 50 about 30 of it muscle) I love the farm work and am a workaholic-need I say more? We are going on a family vacation May 2 thru the 12th and I HAVE to be rested and ready for that. Or else. (She does love me)

I need to get the gasket and a bolt, am going to check to see if my local IH store has in stock. If not,I'll call TM. While the cover is off, I am going to clean and paint the parts I can and make sure evrything is lubed good. I might work on the steering, but I don't want to pull the bolster. I hope to find a parts tractor for the TC.

I hope after the Barnyard Bash to put the 22 mower on and am looking for a grader blade. As soon as the Bash is over we are putting a 24x24 addition on the house since my MIL moved in.(She bought Elmo for me) :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”