This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

broken carb idle tube

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Chuck 53 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

broken carb idle tube

Postby Chuck 53 Cub » Sun May 02, 2004 4:04 pm

I just started off Sunday with a bang... somehow the carb idle tube broke off flush with the threads. What is the best way to go about removing the broken off part without making matters worse????

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun May 02, 2004 4:10 pm

Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jerry Caton
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jerry Caton » Sun May 02, 2004 5:41 pm

Just did this Myself ! I read the suggestions in "the best of H.L. Chauvin's Messages" (link on home page) , and under "carberutor saved" found the answer. Except i used a 1/16" followed by a 5/64", followed by a 3/32" right hand bits, held in a pin vise. VERRY slow work, but after the 3/32" bit you can see the aluminum thru the brass threads. The used a dental pick (any needle sharp pick would do) to peel up the first few threads, and worked them out with a fine needle nose plier. It's very slow , tedious work, but there arent too many options at this point . By the way, this cub had been parked for several years with the petcock open, and an empty tank. No gasoline deposits, but I got about 2 to 3 teaspoons of dry white powdery "stuff" out of the bowl. New float,new needle and cage, new idle tube and gaskets at the IH dealer here for $49 and change. The rebuild kit would have been over $100.00 !! Right now its off to be bead blasted and cleaned, should look like new when done. I spose i should mention that Lurker Carl 's article on carb fixes helps tremendously !! I had to bend the heck out of the throttle body, it had gaps of over 1/8" at some points. Bent it back OK and trued it with a file per instructions and the fit is near perfect !
Always smile!! (it confuses people enormously )

Chuck 53 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Chuck 53 Cub » Tue May 04, 2004 6:50 am

Thanks guy's....I looked at both sites and it looks like I have some warpage as well to take care of in addition to the idle tube repair. Let the "root canal work" begin