This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub snow thrower power?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Cub snow thrower power?

Postby Rudi » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Chris:

Ok, I got a couple of questions.

Dennis sent me an email about server problems, but when I checked it was all fine. I have no idea what the problem was, and I really would loike to know so I can find a way to prevent it happening again. So, if you can let me know via an email that would be great.

Pics, I will try either later tonight, I just got in from blowing snow.. Ellie is still down, so I had to use my 13hp Yardman. No where near as much fun as Ellie, so.. I gotta get that done too. I managed to get some work done in the pole barn, so that means a few of my new Fast Hitch implements are now broken down and on a shelf until I can get the rest of the barn done and the E-Tank up and running. That will probably be in the new year. If I end up too pooped I will try to get them up on the server or the photohost in the morning.

I will send both you and Eddie the pics from Rejean. I am pretty sure that what he used may be helpful in solving some of the problems.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:23 am

Lurker Carl wrote:Better to have too much power than just enough, especially if you plan to mount it in front of a Cub. I'm assuming your blower is a 48" wide single stage unit, modern units that size have 18 hp and larger engines. Is your Cub fitted with a speed reducer?

Gravely limits their 12 hp walk behinds to 34" two stage blowers. Even that size blower works the engine hard when moving deep, wet snow.

My older gravely's with the 7,6hp "L" type engine with the 8spd and the 26" open side snow blower was an animal with slush or even wet snow. It would throw snow over the top of the telephone poles without even straining the long connecting rod engine. This is the thing that impressed me with the older engines its that long connecting rod. Its the torque were missing on the newer engines. They went after the higher horse power which is more rpms and lost the torque and muscle/grunt of the lower rpm engines. All i can tell is the newer engines lost something power wise over the older engines. I just purchased some older larger wisconsin engines that have that longer connecting rod too just to play with.

I know we don't have too many choices to drive the snow blower on the fcub but has anyone thought of using the hydraulics? Has anyone put another hydraulic pump driven from the fan belt. Then you could use a larger hydraulic tank to take some of the heat away when using hydraulic motors. Its just another thought.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Dad's Snowblower

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:00 pm

I guess I am going to have to break this up into 3 or 4 posts as there is a fair amount of information here. This first pic is from my Father-in-law. This is the snowblower setup he build way back when.. and mounted it on the Putt-Putt. Pic was taken in February 1964.

This one is of the very same blower, but on wooden skids.. you will notice the rooster tail.. :big say what: :big smile:

This one was taken in either 1959 or 1960.. a few years before the conversion.

Dad has been telling me about this conversion of his for almost 27 years now.. and it is one of the primary motivations behind my Cub SnowBlower project as well. Not being as mechanically adept as Dad (he built the Putt-Putt and it's brother Lil' Red from scratch using old car/truck parts etc.), it takes me a lot longer to figure things out.

It is because of the pics above that I believe that a Cub will be more than enough motive power for a self-powered snowblower mounted on the front, as you can clearly see that the Putt-Putt has a self-powered blower on the front of it as well. And the old Briggs & Stratton was only a 6hp model. I have always believed that Ellie could do the job, no matter what the ground speed is... as long as conditons determine the proper throttle.

Hope you like the pics. I wish the family still had that snowblower.. not sure where it got to... :? :roll: :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Chuckwheat's SnowThrower

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Chris:

Here are the pics of your blower you sent along.

Chris, this is actually a Snow Thrower.. only single stage. This will not toss snow as far as a 2 stage (auger and impeller setup), but should work though, and we know that because of the IH Danco Snow Thrower that was available as a rear mount for the Cub.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Eddie H's SnowBlower Project

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Eddie:

Here are the pics you sent along to Chris,

If you quote it, you can then add the text for each pic, then simply delete the [quote] [/quote ] tags.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Rejean Levesque's SnowBlower Project

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:22 pm

These are the stills that Rejean sent along for us to peruse. These are of the cub and blower in the video. The files are all small and should pose no problem even for dialup. Hope you enjoy them, I certainly do. This man has quite the creative streak.. he would be an asset to the forums

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks for posting pix Rudi!!! The frame for the thrower is out back and not in my pix. I was wondering if it was rear mounted? I need to clear up space on my memory card and take pix with the frame attached.
Oh by the way, finally hit post 501. :{_}:
Chris

Eddie H
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: L5B1C9
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub

Postby Eddie H » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks Rudi for posting the pics, very similar to my setup. The only thing I was looking for and could not find was a crank or lever to turn the chute from the seat.
I was thinking of running a pipe along the frame with steel cables inside and mount an idler wheel to the steering column somehow. Use EMT pipe, easy to bend and put some grease inside the have the cables slide easier. However, have to assemble the whole shebang first to see how that would work out.

Eddie
if it doesn't fit, make it fit

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Chris:

:applause: Congratulations on achieving Image status, way to go! Image

The thrower was front mounted and the engine usually a Kohler I think was mounted on the rear drawbar or something like that..

I have a pic somewhere, but it is on the other puter or on the server. Need to go downstairs and find it. Will post it in this thread a bit later on, or maybe tomorrow.

Eddie:

The crank to turn the chute can be lengthened. I have already done this for Gord's 108 and will post the pics for you. This is what I am going to do for my project, elongate the crank so that I can change the chute direction from the seat. It will need a couple of guides so I gotta figure out where the best place for that will be. It will have to be a non-intrusive mod though.

Will probably post the pics for Gord's 108 mod tomorrow.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Chris:

I knew I had em somewhere, they are actually from the Wisconsin Historical Archives and are in this thread.. Cub Snow Blower

Rudi wrote:Here are a few photos from the WHS Archives:

Farmall Cub with Danco Snowblower

Eddie H
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: L5B1C9
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub

Postby Eddie H » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:34 am

Rudi,

what are the dimensions of the pulley's on Rejean's setup. The one on the engine, idler & drive shaft ?, size for 1/2" belt ?

Thanks,
Eddie
if it doesn't fit, make it fit

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:33 pm

Eddie:

Honestly, I am not sure. I will look through the stuff he sent me and see if I can find if he mentioned it. I can also send him an email.. will have to get Em to write it though cause it will have to be in Good French, not my French.. :big say what:

:big smile:

Return to “Farmall Cub”