This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fan Hub Question?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fan Hub Question?

Postby jsmit » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:05 pm

I rebuilt my cub fan hub long ago, but recently noticed something seems off. When you look at the fan shaft from the rear (where it mounts to the bracket on the engine block) there is a space large enough for oil (within the fan hub) to leak out. The space lies between the flange nut (part of the fan shaft) and the first belt pulley. Any ideas on which part I left out, or which part fills this space preventing oil leakage. I recall a rubber o-ring somewhere, but the one I have is way too large.
Any help is as always greatly appreciated :?: :idea:

Thanks
Jay
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:18 pm

That is normal. There was a felt washer there originally to keep the oil from leaking during assembly, but it is not used later. When the fan is stopped the oil is bleow th level of the shaft (assuming you followed the manual instructions), and when it is running centrifical force throws the oil to the outside, keeping it away from the opening.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsmit » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:38 pm

Many thanks, you get caught up in the minutia sometimes, I guess! I just hope it'll run once its totally back together.... wish me luck.

Thanks again,
Jay
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:15 pm

Jay,

What John said. :lol: :lol: :lol: I would add that there's a helix machined in the shaft that helps keep oil from leaking out the back end.

Good luck and I'm glad to hear she's on all 4's.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:16 pm

I'm just curious - my 51 Cub has a cast iron fan belt pulley with two sealed bearings in the bore. I saw both pulley designs in the Cub parts manual the other night. Was the design changed in 51?
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/