This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Heli-coils for finals.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Heli-coils for finals.

Postby EZ » Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:38 am

Looks like for sure I'm going to have to have heli-coils installed in both the final drives of my '67Lo.
Reason being, the mounting holes for the drawbar are shoe-packed. This comes from P.O.'s not keeping the bolts tight, instead they wobbled around in there and they ended up doing some welding to the mounts etc. No real harm to the finals themselves, just the threaded holes.
Anyhooski, NAPA says $15Cdn per hole!!! Thats pretty steep, I'd say.
But if you look at price of kit, $60, it might be only choice I have, unless I can find a good buddy who has a kit with the coils for my needs. Anybody else had to do this?
Just Do It !

Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Slappy » Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:46 pm

I'm not sure if this is any help, but McMaster and Carr sell inserts for most bolt sizes. Basically you drill the hole out a size bigger, tap it and scew the insert in. It epoxies itself to the casting. I've had good luck with these. They tell me the heli-coils work well too, but the inserts seem very sturdy to me. My 2 cents.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:24 pm

EZ, I dont know what size you are needing but heres a few kits on eBay that might interest you.

http://search.ebay.com/heli-kit_W0QQsok ... onewuserZ1
Then came Bronson

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:53 pm

Thanks for those leads guys. I like the 5/8" kit starting at $9.99, but says only ships in the States. Maybe I'll give the guy a call. I'm gonna shop around on this one for sure, there's no real rush, gotta lot of seals to swap out etc...so I'll check out the options meantime.
Just Do It !

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:07 pm

EZ:

Most will reconsider ifn you send them a nice email requesting reasons why they wont ship to Canada.... gets them thinking and then there is no good reason not to....

I sent an email to one guy, and he very nicely said that if I win the bid, he will ship it to Canada, and on top of that he will ship it via USPS!

Make sure if this guy will ship to Canada that he ships USPS (Post Office). Otherwise, UPS is gonna nail you with border fees and everything. Ask me - BOY DO I KNOW ALL ABOUT IT!!!!!

Make sure that he also declares it for the actual value US that he sells it to you for and not what if might retail for. I have had a few do that thinking they were doing me a favour for the insurance..... NOT!!! Customs gets ya and so does the GST hoodlums.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:50 pm

Rudi wrote:EZ:

Most will good reason not to....

Make sure that he also declares it for the actual value US that he sells it to you for and not what if might retail for. I have had a few do that thinking they were doing me a favour for the insurance..... NOT!!! Customs gets ya and so does the GST hoodlums.

Rudi,
I buy & sell on ebay a lot.
The biggest problem that I had selling & shipping to canada.
1. customs holds it up.
Held usps package for 14 days because it had metal inside. Buyer on me saying I didn't ship.
2. unless you send USA cash most banks down here hold personal ck. for 30 days.
3. I can't even get a can. money order cashed & 2 diff. banks I have used for years don't even really want to deposit them to my account.
If you send can. money it's no good to me at all unless i go to US - CAN.
border.
As for buying we won't even go there........

I am in no way saying that any of this is right.
Just a little of what I have had happen to me.
If I know the person( such as you) cub forum) I will try but for the average bidder no way to much hassel.To much time tied up for the money you get. you know 20.00 30.00 us dollars.

This post is in no way to start a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JUST MY .02
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:13 pm

Yes, I had to do it to my final drives. I have a friend that works at fundy grinding, so I borrowed the drill and tap and purchased the Heli Coil at the local bolt shop. For six coils it was $30.00. I had to do Five of them. It works great now.
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:34 am

Salty,
Sounds great, were any of the bolts broken off inside the holes? I have 1 that is broken off about half way in. Not sure how I'm gonna get that one out yet. Those holes are almost 2" deep, a good 1 3/4" for sure, did you find heli's "long" enough, or did you have to use a couple? I've asked a couple places so far who do that kind of work, but nobody has that size 5/8-11. WOW, they say, whatcha working on!
But, I know I will get it done, I have to get it done soon. Nice to hear from someone who has had success.
Thanks.
Just Do It !

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:11 am

EZ. $15cdn per hole sounds great to me. Especially if you have a broken bolt! 5/8-11 heli-coil won't be the easiest............
Ron

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:28 pm

EZ,

Another one that we use at our machine shop along with Heli-coils inserts are called KEENSERT inserts. They they are a little more involved, but what I like about them is you have 4 small pins that drive in after the insert is seated, this way they can't back out.

The good thing about using heli-coil inserts on the first repair is if they ever strip out then you can go onto the keenserts, they are a little bigger in size on the OD thread. (7/8-14) then you will still be able to stay with the original 5/8-11 bolts on your housings. the only problem I can see using the Keensert on your housing is the little rasied boss, I don't remember what size it was, now.

With this in mind when I fixed all my stripped out bolt holes on my Cub, I use the heli-coil inserts first then if in the event they do happen to strip back out I can go to the next plan (plan b Keenserts)

In either case I have had excellent luck using both kinds of inserts and being at my current job going on 20 years, I have installed several of each kind. Then have taken out hundereds of broken off bolts, drills, taps and inserts, a complete array of sizes too.

The keenserts are just like the heli-coil inserts they both have special insertion tools and so forth. Our shop policy if a customer wants to install either insert himself, we let them borrow the complete kit and only charge them for the inserts they use. I don't know if you have a local machine shop in your area, but they may be willing to do the same thing.

I don't think either insert is real expensive, but we buy them by bulk. I pay what the company pays, so my repairs are sometimes a whole lot cheaper than most people's and when your working on a restoration of a 50 plus year old tractor or truck that can a big savings. Not to mention full acess to a fully equipped modern machine shop.

Here's a URL that show the Keenesert insert: http://www.newmantools.com/kee.htm

They have also put on a chart on this web site on the different kind of Keenserts they offer. Thick wall, thin wall, carbon and stainless steel, both in SAE or Metric. Take a look and see what, if any meets your needs.

Good Luck,

John Niekamp

PS: You can also double up on the inserts, it's TRICKY, but it can be done only if you have enough depth on the holes to double up on the inserts.

PSS: Rudi, I know what you are saying on the shipping to and from Canada to the United States. I have bought and sold items, it can be a hair pulling experience, can't it? Then the exchange rate between our two coutries can drive one nuts too, LOL. It's kind of stupid on my part, being a Amateur Radio operator I should be more familiar with our closest neighbors on our Northern borders. I guess I need to read up on some things, because I have bought radio gear off of Ebay too from fellow radio operators in Canada. That deal seem to take forever, they sent it Canada post and I received it via UPS. BUT In the end, after about 7 weeks the radio arrived in perfect condition and I was very happy with my purchase.

In any case, both as a seller and buyer, I have had good experience both buying and selling, actually to be honest probably better than some of the jerks selling on Ebay right here in the US. even at that it has been probably been less than 1 percent. Never had negative feedback to me or to anyone I bought or sold to.
John (ebay user id HDMCY)

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:08 pm

John,
Thanks for the reply.
Newman Tools is Canadian to boot.
I think I'll give them a call.
Just Do It !

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:22 pm

Guys:

I have learned a heck of a lot buying and selling stuff cross border. Whether it be Ham gear/parts/accessories or now tractor parts, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Right :

Always send International Money Orders in US Funds when purchasing from a US source.

Always send International Money Orders in either US or Canadian funds when buying from a Canadian Source.

Always send either a Certified Cheque or a Certified Bank Draft in US funds in lieu of an International Money Order.

Always ship via USPS to Canada or via Canada Post to US unless OTHERWISE requested. Sure saves on border fees.

Always indicate on Customs Declaration that the item is "Agricultural Machine Parts either used or new". That way it will not get held up pending xray or whatever other check USPS or Canada Post will require.

Always indicate on shipping parts originally "Made in the USA" to save import fees for US buyers.

Always keep in mind that when shipping to Canada, any item under $30.00 US will probably not require any Customs Fees or GST fees. If the item is under $20.00 US, it definitely will not require Customs fees.

Sometimes a little fudging on the lower side of the declared value will always be appreciated by Canadian buyers :!: :wink: :D

Always be courteous to your buyer/seller and if in doubt send an email to clarify.

Wrong:

Never send a personal check in Canadian funds to a US source.

Never send a regular US money order when buying from a Canadian source. It must be an International Postal Money Order.

Never ship via UPS unless specifically requested and the item is over $35.00US in value.

I hope that this post will be taken in the vein that it is meant. So far, I have only very positive experiences dealing with anyone who frequents this wonderful forum :!: Thanks guys, and you all know who you are :!: :!: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:22 pm

HI EZ

I can't speak from the kind of experience that John has stated above, However when I worked in the toolroom at General Electric Aircraftt engines, they always had good luck repairing fixtures and so on, with those KEENSERT type inserts. I could picture them as soon as John spoke of them. Paul k. in N.H.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:41 pm

Rudi,
Very well stated.
That has to be the best list of do's & don'ts for this I have seen to date.
My early post on this was not done to upset anybody!!!!
If people would do what is on your list( buyer & seller ) then most of us would sell ,buy or ship both ways.
It's that people don't hear what you say to them.
If it's been broken I did it.

If its not broken wait till I touch it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:55 pm

Dale:

Thanks for the comments. And yup, I know, and I think no one was offended, certainly not me...... sometimes though I get up on my soapbox as with that post and I can get longwinded.... :roll: :lol:

I think that I might just add that as a info item to the server. What do you think? Good idea or not?

What does everyone else think ?????