This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Anti-freeze question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Anti-freeze question

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:11 pm

Hey guy's been away from the board most of the summer. Been busy AND I built a little (12'x20') metal shed for my Cub and Kub.

What is the mix for a MN winter, 50% Anti-freeze/50% water?

And how do you know if you have the right amount. I MAY drain what I have and start over BUT, if I wanted to just add to it, how do you know you have the right amount? Should you be able to see fluid when you take the cap off when cold?

Thanks
Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:21 pm

Guy:

I would imagine that Mn winters are somewhat similar to our winters here in Eastern Canada. I think we are a touch bit north of you, or at the very least on the same latitude.

I have a 50/50 standard mix of anti-freeze in Ellie and soon will have the same in Granny. Starting to get cold - it was -4C last night.... :roll: :D. You can use a hydrometer which is specific for anti-freeze. Probably cost about 3 or 4 bucks at Wal-mart, to test. As long as the anti-freeze test good for about 10 degrees colder than your mean lowest temps, you should be alright.

Now that you have a shed for your Cub, you won't have to worry about the wind chill. You will also notice that your Cub will start much easier.

As for changing the anti-freeze, if it still checks out good for -40F/C, then you should be alright. I usually just add a little more anti-freeze if needed. Always pre-mix the antifreeze before you put it in your rad :!: :roll: :roll: (edit buttons are real handy :!: )
The level should be about 1-1/2" below the top of the rad. The cub will seek it's own level as you know.

If you change out the anti-freeze, then just buy the regular straight anti-freeze and dilute it yourself - equal parts water and anti-freeze. Or, you can get the pre-mixed stuff, it will just cost a bit more.

Hope this helps. Nice to see you back on the board again. Missed your posts.

Btw, thanks for everything K :?: :wink: :D :D
Last edited by Rudi on Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:27 pm

I never add straight anti-freeze to the radiator. Always pre-mix before adding as the thermo-syphon system does not circulate like a pump system does.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:31 pm

:idea: I have also read from many old wise folks on the board that it is best to pre-mix it in a container before pouring it in the radiator. :idea:
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:50 pm

Guy:

The guys are right. I keep forgetting that I can't do that. Ya gotta mix it first. Gonna hafta edit the original post again! Geesh :!: :oops: :roll: :oops: :roll: I am pretty sure I got the rest right, but then again, at my advanced age and subsequent ensuing loss of brain cells which contributes to brain farts, well, I just don't know :!: :roll: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Yo's Dad
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Yo's Dad » Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:15 pm

Do yourself a little favor and mix your antifreeze with distilled water. Only $0.58 per gallon here at Walmart. Will go a long way to help keep that white crud from forming on your radiator tube ends. Put it in your battery also (the distilled water, not the antifreeze).
YD, Grover and Ole Malley
‘Keepers of the Flame’ Image

Deane
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Deane » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:43 pm

I use the water that is distilled by my basemant de-humidifier. Deane

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:45 pm

Deane, unles your basement is a lot cleaner than min (which it probably is), there is more dust in that water than you would believe, especially in winter if you use a wood stove.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Basement water

Postby allenlook » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:42 am

Actually, that water's pretty clean and dust-free if the condensate pump operates frequently - and most importantly it should be free of the minerals that would be in "normal" water...

I had considered capturing some of my condensate until I found out my water at the tap is ZERO hardness! Around here that's 100% amazing, considering most homes have 25 grains or more. Makes it *impossible* to get the soap off your hands - feels like you're scrubbing with vegetable oil, so I guess I could just fill the radiator out of the sink :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:12 am

I never add straight anti-freeze to the radiator. Always pre-mix before adding as the thermo-syphon system does not circulate like a pump system does.

Is it because the boiling point is too high with straight glycol to get the thermo-process going? Or, is it too thick? This was my Monday morning project for the tractors and truck. :lol: :lol: 8) Bit of nip in the air here.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:01 am

H.R.,

It's because of the difference in density causes the coolant to stratify and fail to circulate.

With a pre-mixed solution, any amount you add will automatically be mixed to the correct proportions. I can think of no reason not to do it.

It's possible some of the busted radiator bases were caused by adding anti-freeze to a system partially filled with water and they failed to mix... leaving plain water in the bottom to freeze and cause the damage.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:04 pm

Well, I think I missed my own point. :lol: :lol:
If you run 100% glycol, add only 100% glycol if the system is low, will you run the risk of damage? :(
I'm almost at the point of filling the cooling system on my refurbished '50. I had intended to run straight anti-freeze, but now I have doubts. :oops: :oops:

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:16 pm

Harold I was told long ago that running pure/straight antifreeze is a no-no. It is designed to be mixed with water to attain its greatest efficiency.
Then came Bronson

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:26 pm

Correct John, Pure Antifreeze will freeze, At what temp I don,t know ,However, it won't freeze solid, It turns to mush, like a snow cone. 50/50 mix dubbles the freeze temp. It use to be that 50/50 was good for 50 below, but now you have to read the back of the jug, as they very to the product name. "Jack" :wink:

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:01 am

Thanks for the replies. I googled antifreeze ratios and the general consensus is a 50 to 70% mix. Pre mixed before filling system.
100% no too good for many reasons. But......I could have sworn my truck came with 100% Dexcool from the factory. I got to read up on that. :wink:
HR