This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

wood splitter for cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JIM V.
10+ Years
10+ Years

wood splitter for cub?

Postby JIM V. » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:09 am

Has anyone ever tried to adapt one of the standard 3pt hitch splitters to a cub? I would love to see some pics if anyone has. thanks Jim V.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:02 am

Hi Jim. I considered making mine a 3 point but decided to put it on wheels so I could travel to my brother's place with it. I didn't want to have to load the tractor and splitter on the trailer each time. With the H.P. of the cub, a 16 gpm two stage pump would work great. It would direct couple to the back of the pto with a little work and brkts, and the rotation would be correct. A clockwise rotation pump(looking at the shaft) when mounted and you look at everything from the back, would be spinning counter clockwise like the pto. I think a 22gpm pump would be a little over the limits. The rule of thumb is 1/2 the gpm on a 2 stage pump equals the hp needed. My splitter has a 22gpm pump with a 12.5 hp engine and works great, no power problem.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:01 am

Jim, I recently did a 3pt splitter only not on the Cub. Since its not a good idea to use the tractor's pump a PTO pump would be difficult to adapt to the Cub. The commercially available PTO pumps are for 540 and 1000 rpm PTO's. Granted the 1000rpm model would work but a little over half throttle would not leave you with enough power to do much work. Also those pumps are not 2stage therefore its raw power you'll need to maintain pressure. The plus side of tractor splitters is speed. Without the 2stage pump you can just blast through wood and have quick return times. The long and short is without about 35 -50hp I don't think you would like the results.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:20 am

This isn't on a Cub, but here's how I split wood. This type splitter seems scary to those who haven't used them, but I think the biggest danger is from lifting the wood... pretty much the same with any splitter. I use it at low speeds and I think the Cub would have enough power. Direction can (and has been) changed internally in the gear box.

I hope to be able to use it again next year.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:41 pm

George,
Is there more to it? Do you slide the wood blocks into the screw on a rail? Seems once it bit into the wood, it would spin it. I do remember this from a year or so ago.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:01 pm

hr's49cub wrote:George,
Is there more to it? Do you slide the wood blocks into the screw on a rail? Seems once it bit into the wood, it would spin it. I do remember this from a year or so ago.

No, that's it. The pipe 'rail' is what keeps the wood from spinning. When I got it someone had built it up to hang vertically from the boom of a post hole digger. Nice idea because all the work could be done from the tractor seat. Problem would have been just as you imagine... the wood would just spin. I got it cheap at an auction and built it up my way 2 years ago on the rear carrier I already had. Best $15 I ever spent!

George Willer

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:03 pm

The old walk-behind Gravelys had a similar splitter with the screw mounted to a 90 degree gear box, which in turn bolted to the front casting. If a 5.5 hp one-lung could do it, I'm sure the Cub would have not problem with it.

Here's nothing but the screw on ebay for an astronomical price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3186&item=4349249360&rd=1

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:25 pm

Hi Mr.G.W. Is that big red barn in the back ground where all your Cub's are hibernating for the Winter?????
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:48 pm

billyandmillie wrote:Hi Mr.G.W. Is that big red barn in the back ground where all your Cub's are hibernating for the Winter?????

Rick,

Eleven of them are in there along with ten other tractors and some other stuff. One Cub is in the shop and the M and 154 are outside. :cry:
George Willer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

George

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:48 pm

George:

What's the gear box out of and what is it's reduction ratio?

Eugene

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: George

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:53 pm

Eugene wrote:George:

What's the gear box out of and what is it's reduction ratio?

Eugene

I'm not sure of its' original use, but I think it was on an elevator. It is 2:1 reduction. It wasn't really necessary to reduce the speed but it takes all strain off the PTO. There is some sideways thrust when it hits a tough place.

George Willer

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:07 pm

I have seen a variation of these screw wood splitters.but they were bolted on the rear of a truck after you took the rear wheel off. 8) :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:04 pm

Go to the bottom of this page and see a video. Download the Quicktime if you don't have it.
http://www.thestickler.com/media.cfm?type=movie&name=stickler.mov
Young man for work, old man for advice

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:07 pm

Young man for work, old man for advice

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:38 pm

I have a Lickety Splitter, I bought 2nd hand 25 years ago and it is fine. Got a 10 horse Tecumsa on it now with a 1" shaft. changed it out about 10 years ago. What i wonder about with Stickler is the twisty grain in the stuff I split. I just put another piece in behind the first one and cut all the way through. In the video i saw him with a hatchet hand cutting the stringy ends. Another thing i like about mine is that the split pieces fall to the ground and when the pile is big enough the next piece off pushes the splitter back enough for another pile.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop