This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bearing Separator, Harbor Freight

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Bearing Separator, Harbor Freight

Postby Dan England » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:28 am

I notice that Harbor Freight lists a Pittsburg brand bearing separator, regularly $20.00, for $10.00. I am wondering if this unit is junk or if it is strong enough to remove the front crankshaft pulley. They do not list its size. Can anyone advise me on the purchase of this item? Thanks, Dan

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:38 am

Seems to me that John??&$# C.O. bought one of these a few months back and said it didn`t work out for him. Could have been a different person but John had a dandy one made up for his use.
Then came Bronson

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:42 am

Dan,
I bought one from Harbor Freight and used it to remove my crank pulley. It's stout enough. It works better if you put the flat side to the back of the pulley. Matter of fact, I used this to get mine off with no problem.

[img][img]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2886648/5823280/74745022.jpg[/img][/img]
Always try the easiest thing first.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:07 am

I have used the, and they do the job, but it is necessary to remove the timing pointer. Go to this link to see the one I had made. works good and doesn't require the pointer to be removed.
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ght=pulley
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Bearing seperator + pointer +3 people

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:02 pm

Last night we pulled the front pulley on ours and did not have to remove our pointer. Just positioned it a little sideways and the pointer was inside one of the splitter bolts. Its very close tho, but it can be done. Puller was reversed and barely set to clear the pulley radius. It twists a little, loosing partial contact. But a 5 TON hydraulic jack at capacity and some heat got ours off with a BANG. Used grade 8 bolts to push against. Suggest you chase all new bolts with a thread die before you use them. We needed 3 people to position everything, thats probably why pointer removal is used. It took a bit of trial and error to set it up.