This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Painting Tips

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Painting Tips

Postby David » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:31 pm

Hi All

I am getting ready to paint my 61 Cub and have a couple of questions. A while back I talk to somebody about the best ratio to mix paint vs hardner vs naptha thinner. Does anyone know? I just got the paint and thinner from Tractor Supply, BPS paint and Valspar hardner. The 8 oz container of hardner says to use with 128oz (1gal) of paint, which means 16 to 1, but how much naptha should I use?

Also, I have seen a number of postings on primers, to take up the pitting. What is the best? Can I get these polly primers in spray cans?

As always, thanks so much.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:42 pm

I was told by my local paint shop to mix it 8 parts paint, 4 parts reducer and 1 part hardener. That was using the IH 2150 paint and Napa's synthetic hardener. It went on great and still looks good after three years.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Steve Butram » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:53 am

David, You need to read the instructions on the can or ask the paint manufacture for the ratios. The paint stores have small containers that have the ratios on printed on the side. Be careful and protect your self with the recomended breathing protection and full body protection. hardner can effect your central nurvous system if inhaled or absorbed in your skin. So you must use all the correct personal protection when spraying paint with the hardner added.I mix the hardner for the last coat only. If the gloss finish is what you are requiring try over reducing the paint that will give you a gloss finish also. I add the hardner on the last coat to keep the gasoline from peeling the paint if it happens to leak or I get a little messy filling the fuel tank .Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:20 pm

I use the 2150 IH paint and I mix mine 8 parts paint 1 part thinner and one part hardner. The last few coats on the tin work I mix a little more hardner in the paint. about 1 1/4 versus just the one part. It puts a real nice shine to the paint.
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Paint

Postby Todd » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:57 am

You must ask the paint manufacturer about the ratio. The more reducer you use the better chance the paint will fade a few days after you shoot it.

The Ration of reducer to paint is only important because it get the paint out of the gun. It is only a vehicle for the paint. It all eventually goes in the atmosphere. If you can not find the ration start with 10% and test it on some scrap then keep in creasing it till you can get a nice even coat of paint out of the gun

Only reduce the paint after you add the harder

The ratio of hardener to Paint is critical, if you use too much harder the paint will not dry properly or even at all. Don't use enough.. same problem.

Use harder on ALL coats.

You should only need two coats, if you get a lot of dirt in the paint do a third.

It is also critical that you wait the proper time in between coast (read directions
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart