This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie seeks info/help!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
l5foye
10+ Years
10+ Years

Newbie seeks info/help!

Postby l5foye » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:09 pm

Hello All- I am really pleased to have discovered this great forum. I hope someone will be able to help with a little problem. I have a Cub- Paris Model- yes, made in France- no 72175. It has a distributor. On restoring it, I have found that the 6 volt coil (aremy-delco) will not fit onto the original bracket which is IH part no 353 940 R1. It fouls the distributor housing.The IH parts catalogue shows a different type of coil with lead to distributor at one end and a lead coming from the other end. The coil I have has distributor lead and 2 other leads at the same end.
Has anyone encountered this problem? Better still, does anyone a way round the problem? I could make up a new bracket but this would mean that the coil is sitting out from its proper position. I am trying to keep the tractor 100% original in keeping with the rest of it. It even came with pieces of cork in empty bolt holes.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:14 pm

You can get the orignal type coil as a reproduction from http://www.oemtractpr.com
Be warned, it's a little pricey.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:20 pm

I5foye:

First, welcome to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

Ok, so here is the spiel.

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's (both 1 and 2), The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub.

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only licensed IH publication reprint shop and they have the best quality.

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, welcome to the Cub Family :D

As for specifics on the French Cubs, might I suggest that you check with Mike Schumdlach/Super Cub - he really knows the French Cubs. Nice to see a new member from the Emerald Isle :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

l5foye
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby l5foye » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:53 pm

John* and Rudi- thank you for the welcome and the advice. If an item is descrided as pretty expensive in the US, you can be sure that it will be very expensive by the time it reaches Ireland. We have to pay import duty, delivery cost and even tax on the delivery.

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:07 pm

l5foye
Wecome to the site!Ahh it s great to have somebody from the old country!My uncle Ed Murphy was from County Claire. Came to this country in 1923,at age 23.My mother always called him Ned.We had a picture of him with a swayback horse with a plow in Ireland.So that's why I call my cub "RedNed".He told me a interesting story about when he arrived here years ago.I said to my uncle,"So uncle,How long were you on Ellis Island"? (The island in New York Harbor where all the immigrants arrive.) His reply was "I was on the Island for a week".A week I said?"Yes"he said"Your Uncle Pat took a week drunk and did not pick me up. I never laugh so hard in my entire life............. :lol: Hey How about some pictures of your cub and that green countryside. I think the coil you are talking about is the old oil filled one.Old style.I'll will look around for a old one for you...............Bob...
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:44 pm

Many of the French Cubs had French carburetors and electrical components rather than the US built parts. You may want to look to France for a source. I will email you contact information for a very knowledgable French IH collector.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:50 pm

You said:

If an item is descrided as pretty expensive in the US, you can be sure that it will be very expensive by the time it reaches Ireland. We have to pay import duty, delivery cost and even tax on the delivery.

Are you sure you don't live in Canada :?: :?: We get to pay shipping, import duty (excise tax or customs), border fees, provincial and federal sales tax on everything.... lets see now -- duty is a tax, border fees are a tax and sales tax on those other taxes.... gee, I think I might move to Ireland - sounds cheaper there :roll: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship