This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Cub

Postby kylev » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:30 am

I am getting a farmall cub from my dad. It has been in his yard for a while. He says the engine is good and it just needs to be gone through. How would I find out what model it is? He says he thinks it is about a 1960 model. He restored one and says parts are available. Is this true? How available are the parts. I will have to end up going through the starter, alt, points,fuel tank,sterring case,etc, to get it going. I think it will be a fun project. It will be my first.

Any help is appreciated.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:05 am

Kylev,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Farmall Cub. There is a list of links on the home page here that will answer most of your questions, this will get you started http://www.farmallcub.com/CubInfo.htm

Parts are widely available, both new and used. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are plenty of answers here!

Lurker Carl

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Welcome

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:04 pm

Lots of good people here to help you. Some new parts are still available thru CaseIH = CaseNH dealers. Many used parts are offered by others. Manuals are available new, thru CaseIH.

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:41 pm

Thanks for the responce. I guess the main question first off is where do I find the model and date on this unit. I am starting off by buying a new battery (6 volt) and taking the starter, generator , and radiator off and bringing them to have them serviced right off the bat. My father gave me this tractor and it is my first ever attempt to restore it. I would like to get it running and restore it to somewhat factory. I am not interested in making it a mint condition show piece. I mainly want it to look good and be useable to cut grass etc. These first steps with the starter etc were given to me by my father. He also told me to spray the cylinders with WD40 several days in a row and slowly turn the engine by hand to have the rings slowly break down the rust that may have built up in the cylinders. The tractor has been sitting up for 7 years. The engine however seems to be all in tack and was running when set up. Can anyone tell me if I am working in the right direction. Also the wiring is very bad on this unit and I would like to replace the wiring with all new wiring. Is there any off the shelf wiring that I could use like THHN or some 12 or 10 gauge stranded wiring or should I use special wiring that is made for this unit?

Any help would be great.

THanks

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:02 pm

One other thing. My dad thinks that this was a 1960's tractor. But I looked on the website and it says that 122166 serial number is 1951. Could that be right? also underneath that serial number it also has a 1800 on the same plate. What does that mean?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:11 pm

That is the serial number for a 51. The 1800 is max no-load RPM.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 pm

kylev, ditto what Carl said up above there.

Complete aftermarket wiring harnesses are available.

Your dad sounds like he should be working as consultant on your restore too. He sounds like he may have some good experience along these lines.

KROIL....not WD40 :D

Good luck..oh and yes... this is the best place on the internet. :wink:

Mike
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”