This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering gear housing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Steering gear housing

Postby Paul B » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:43 am

Since there seems to be a shortage of good, used, uncracked, steering gear housings - you know, the ones that get cracked by "hard water" in the radiator, has anyone tried, or have any comments, (good or bad), any of the aftermarket castings such as T & M sells? Anyone had good luck repairing one with epoxy?

I have a 1 lb can of Smooth-On, Iron Cement that I am tempted to try (nothing to loose). This stuff was made by Smooth-On Manuf. (still in business making space age adhesives and mold making supplies) from about 1895 until the late 40's early 50's when the demand faded away, for repairing cracks in steam pipes, boilers, radiators, castings etc. Might be neat to see if I can fix a '49 tractor with a '49 product.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:13 am

I trust everything that TM sells. But, a good machine shop should be able to repair it to last. There is an art to welding up cracks in cast iron. Not sure if some solution would bond.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:42 am

I'd hate to trust JB weld for this. This casting was sandblasted, grooved out and carefully welded, and afterward ground (cosmetically) and finished and primed. It has been back in service for a couple years.

It wasn't a simple operation. :lol:

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:50 am

I forgot to mention... I got the casting along with some other stuff I really wanted on eBay. Someone had tried to repair it with something slobbered on. It just made a mess and didn't work. It leaked like a sieve. :( Sandblasting got rid of it. :D :D :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:09 pm

George,
It's relly nice to see your wisdom back more regularly. Hope you are able to enjoy this nicer weather.
Now to the dig - My old 20:20s don't see anything wrong with that casting!
You are disgustingly good! :roll:
One more impressive item from GWiller! :{_}:
I remain in awe,
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!