This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Cub Won't Start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

My Cub Won't Start

Postby Dan England » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 pm

My Cub started easily this morning as I prepared to mow. I mowed for a couple of hours with no noticable problem. I was mowing in first gear so it had plenty of power, even in heavily grassed areas. The motor died in an area with scattered grass. It seemed to be firing on one cylinder only when I attempted to start it. I let it cool for about 45 minutes, then again tried to start it. Same result, it seemed to fire on one cylinder. Plenty of gas to the carb. I cleaned the plugs then tried again with same result. I am wondering if there is an air leak between the carb and cylinders. I am familiar with using a propane torch or WD-40 to test for leaks when the engine is running. How do I determine if this is the problem since it won't start? What are other possibilities which I should check. Your input will be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:50 pm

Dan, remove the distributor cap and wipe it out. Take a look at the tower connections and rotor tip while you're in there. Did you check for spark quality when trying to start it? It could just be some moisture in the cap or a carbon path plus the moisture that is keeping it from running. If you have some WD 40 spray it in the cap before wiping it out.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:14 pm

The tractor is located at my son's place, six or seven miles from my house. I will go out late this afternoon or tomorrow to try suggested fixes. Thanks, BD, for you suggestions. In the meantime, I would like to receive other input so that I will be able to try several things when I go there. Dan

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:03 pm

Remember Dan, for an engine to run it needs fuel air and spark at the correct time.
Follow Bigdogs advice. If that fails to yield results then check for good spark at the plugs. If you have good spark then look to the fuel supply.
8)

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:10 pm

since it was operational for two hours and quit under load, i'd be looking at a lack of fuel FLOW to the carb. one of my cubs requires mouth the mouth recessitation (pressurize the fuel tank) occasionally. it'll act up same as yours. i have a new sediment bowl on the shelf, funny how it being there doesn't seem to help the cub :) need a round-to-it, i guess. :lol:

gas in the carb wont get into the engine if its under any vaccuum at all from the tank. got to free flow
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:35 pm

The Cub runs. Rain began to fall on my way out to the Cub's location. I had doubts as to whether I could dry the distributor area with a heavy mist falling. I had to clean it a couple of times using WD-40 as BD and Donny suggested. After the second cleaning, it fired up and ran fine. As is the usual case, good advice was quickly given to allow non-mechanically inclined people, meaning me, to solve the problem before frustration sets in. Thanks, Bigdog, Donny and artc, and also thanks to the many forum members who frequently help whenever problems occur with our Cubs. Your advice is always appreciated. Dan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:28 pm

I'm glad it was that easy Dan. It's nice to know we were able to help.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com