This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

is this abusing the tractor?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Re: is this abusing the tractor?

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:32 pm

I would rather break traction than parts.

I only use 3rd for going down the road. But that could be just me. I much prefer 1st or 2nd for doing any work. In fact, I almost always mow in 1st, but I never mow anything like a lawn. Mostly I rely on 'gut feeling', if it feels wrong, it probably is. If you are comfortable with it, should be fine.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:48 am

How does going faster in deeper snow work better?

I'm surprised you can move 2' of snow, even fluff, with a Cub in 3rd gear. Last time I got in deep snow with my Cub it barely had enough power to crawl through the drifts in 1st. I can't imagine pushing 24" of snow in front of me in 3rd.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't think you're abusing a thing. I used to plow a skating rink down at the lake. I took about 8 passes forward and back--enough so I could then go in a circle--and then angled the blade all the way to the right and went round and around in third. I could throw the snow pretty good. Lots of fun, too. Didn't hurt the Cub one little bit.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:How does going faster in deeper snow work better?

Matt:

I am not capable of explaining the physics of it but it simply does. The faster the snow comes up the blade the faster it will flow off the blade. Have you ever watched a highway plow? They boogie, at least up here they do - 80 - 90 kmp two plows in echelon on a 4 lane highway moving a foot of snow or better like it was simply feathers. Heavy snow that is wet is a lot harder to get to move, but speed does help it get over the shoulder embankments.

With Ellie and my blade angled, in 1st gear the snow will roll but pretty tight. In second the snow will roll higher, looser and faster. In 3rd well the snow just flies off the blade. Over 10 years now of plowing snow with Ellie both with a home built plow and now my Cub-54. Since I put the hydraulics on the blade, plowing snow is not only easier but it is a heck of a lot more fun :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”