This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

P.T.O. grinding when not engaged.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

P.T.O. grinding when not engaged.

Postby rustynuts » Tue May 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Hi Looks like a great club has been formed here. Thanks for letting me in,now on to the problem! I just put in a new transmission clutch shaft and bearings and front seal. I mow with a 5 foot 3 blade belly mower I used it two days ago to cut about 3 acres and everything was going just fine and when I tried to use it here at the farm with out the pto running it sounded like it was trying to engage and grinding. So I opened up the tranny top and checked the bearings and opened up the fill hole and could see nothing wrong. So I cocked the lever guide a little forward and tightened it all back down that didn't work either. As long as the pto is engaged its a happy tractor so I took off the belt and used it with it engaged. Did I foul something up or over look something! Help a new member.......Please

RustyNuts

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Tue May 03, 2005 9:41 pm

Yes I did change the clutch shaft when I did this repair.I almost forgot that

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 04, 2005 2:02 pm

There is a brass pilot bushing in the end of the transmission shaft that the pto shaft fits into. The transmission shaft you instaleed may not have had one or it may have been worn out if it's a used shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Thu May 05, 2005 6:37 am

It was a new shaft with a brass bushing installed. I pulled the pto shaft yesterday and I found the clutch grinding on the new shaft. It apears that some one before me had the bright idea to put a set screw and a flatten one of the splines to limit its travel or to make it easier to get the shifter arm easyier to get in place. I did not see this in any of the 4 manuals I have looked at. I'm heading for the IH dealer this morning to see what the mechanic thinks. Have you seen this before or is this how it is?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu May 05, 2005 8:26 am

rustynuts wrote:It was a new shaft with a brass bushing installed. I pulled the pto shaft yesterday and I found the clutch grinding on the new shaft. It apears that some one before me had the bright idea to put a set screw and a flatten one of the splines to limit its travel or to make it easier to get the shifter arm easyier to get in place. I did not see this in any of the 4 manuals I have looked at. I'm heading for the IH dealer this morning to see what the mechanic thinks. Have you seen this before or is this how it is?

What you found is as it should be. The set screw should not be tightened, but rather run in just far enough on the flattened spline to keep the collar from falling off during assembly. They're all like that. I prefer to use a little locktite on the setscrew to keep it from moving while in use.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rustynuts
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rustynuts » Fri May 06, 2005 7:49 am

I H mechanic took some more of the flattened spline off towards the back and I installed it with 2 gaskets . He seemed to think that bmaybe the new shaft was a little longer or the gaskets were a little thinner than the original. I tryed it yesterday and it worked great in and out . And then I broke the belt. Thanks for all the advise and what to look for on this cub !!!
RustyNuts