This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Shipping Cub from NH to WA State

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gwen Bassetti
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98620

Shipping Cub from NH to WA State

Postby Gwen Bassetti » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Anyone have advise for me. I have just "inherited" the 1949 Cub I grew up with! I need to get it from Whitefield, NH to Goldendale, Wa!!!
Ideas. Or can I find the weight and dimensions on this site? Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Shipping Cub from NH to WA State

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Gwen:

Congrats :applause: on inheriting this '49 Cub. Here is the McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 5-1-49. The info you desire should be within the manual. The Cub will fit nicely in a 5'x9' U-Haul trailer but a dual axle with brakes would be a better choice. A bare Cub should weight around 1300lbs or so I guess. Add a full set of weights and there is another 200lbs of weight. Add the touch control and there is another 100lbs. If the tires are loaded, that will increase the weight. To get a proper estimate you are going to need to get it scaled. I am sure others will be able to provide a better estimate of the Cubs weight.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 am

This link will give you specs on the cub

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... l-cub.html

If you have time, list it on UShip. You may find someone with a load going west needing to fill some space but you'll need to be patient.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 am

I have has GREAT success with Yesterday's Tractor's "hauling forum". Twice I have hauled tractors a fair distance and found the hauler through that forum. If you are patient and don't need to have it moved on a specific day, you can find very reasonable rates there.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 am

I agree with Mike, on the Yesterday's Tractor deal but if you decide to go that route, be very careful. Make sure the person doing your hauling is bonded & insured and ask for references. There are some very nice deals on hauling there, but there are, apparently, some shady folks as well. I attended our Cockshutt Winter get together on Sat. and the subject came up twice, during the course of the bull sessions. Just make sure the person you hire is dependable.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 am

Expect a cost on average of $1.25 - $2.00 per loaded mile for a Cub.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 am

Full price shipping will probably cost more than what the cub is worth, but you might check some of the car shipping companies. A few years back, we shipped a Model A from Indiana to LA and it was only about $1500 in an enclosed trailer.

Maybe try somebody like autotransportdirect.

Maybe think about moving back to the old home place?
Drive it cross country?

And for a cub, plan on 96 long, 48 wide, and 60 high and 2000 lbs. (it will fit sideways inside a semi-trailer)

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 pm

One thing to add to Gary's statement...I completely agree that you need to ask for references from the hauler and even post on YT asking publicly for the same. I have shipped twice across the country...once from Oregon to La Crosse, WI, and then again from La Crosse to Pittsburgh, PA. In both cases, I found a guy who was "making the trip anyhow" and the stuff ended up riding fairly cheap. Like $500 - 600 from Oregon to La Crosse and $500 from La Crosse to Pittsburgh...

I even contracted with the same guy to haul all of my household items from La Crosse to Pittsburgh instead of renting a UHaul myself.

Most definitely need to make sure that the guy you are working with is trustworthy, though...

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Gwen Bassetti
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98620

Postby Gwen Bassetti » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Thank all for the info!!!

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Be aware freight companies can charge you a "dimensional weight" if it will be to their benefit to net more revenue for the shipment.

Dim weight is defined by the amount of space taken up by the shipment regardless of actual weight.

A Cub tractor may well be heavy enough to be excluded from dimensional weighing however it is a policy you should be aware of in case it does pertain or for future reference.

Dim weight specifies a shipment will be billed at a pre-determined weight calculated by overall size no matter what it actually weighs. This size would include the dimension from the ground to the tip of the exhaust stack.

This policy is to prevent people from shipping a semi trailer full of packing peanuts weighing about four pounds across the country for twenty bucks.

If in fact your shipment will be billed dimensionally, breaking the shipment down to smaller dimensions can save you money. Wheels, muffler stacks, fenders removed and banded with the tractor to a shipping pallet.

When you call for prices, specifically ask if your tractor will be dimensionally weighed. Have those dimensions as well as the actual weight ready to provide for the cost calculation. Also have a secondary set of downsized dimensions to offer if you choose to make the shipment smaller by breaking it all or partially down.

Believe me when I tell you this, freight drivers that pick up shipments rarely mention to the customer about dim weight and will in most cases accept any weight the customer claims the shipment weighs.

The freight company then has multiple opportunities to weigh and measure it between point A and point B. They also have the right to update the freight charges agreed to in fine print referring to weights and measures when you signed the original bill of lading.

On more than one occasion I've witnessed a less than happy customer debating dim weight policy on the phone while I had my C.O.D. hand out for much more than the original quoted or estimated shipping charge.

Most freight companies only offer credit to industrial shippers leaving cash on delivery or prepaid with additional charges due upon delivery for shippers without an account.

Better to know up front exactly what the total freight charges will be instead of being surprised on the day of delivery with an updated freight charge that must be paid before your shipment comes off the truck.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Dan Stuckey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dan Stuckey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 pm

wow, this would be a great ship to be on the show, Shipping Wars if youre familiar with that show. Think the bid on their loads through USHIP or youship.com

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 pm

I wish we still had the "thanks" button. Thanks L U D

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 pm

bob in CT wrote:I wish we still had the "thanks" button. Thanks L U D

You're welcome. Funny you make mention of the "thank you" button... I was going to toss someone a bone a couple of weeks ago over in "off topic" and noticed it wasn't possible. I thought possibly it was just an option over here never noticing til now it was missing
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 pm

I ran it through ODFL's online calculator - came out to about $2900!! Put in a question to my long time 3pl guy for the slowest cheapest between the two zips...interested to see what he comes up with.

Return to “Farmall Cub”