This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

headlight switch and starter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
carcrazy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21783

headlight switch and starter

Postby carcrazy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I just got my first farmall cub it is a 1948 I love it but it was upgraded to 12 volts and the headlights but the one who did it but a toggle switch in for the headlights but I would like to use and for looks the factory one do they make one for 12 volts or can the factory one be ok and he did not but a new starter in it he says as little as it is used it would be fine ant help would help thank you

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: headlight switch and starter

Postby Yogie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:42 pm

The switch for the lights will be okay.
The starter will be fine if not used to long at one time to crank the engine. Keep it starting well and tuned and you'll be fine.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

carcrazy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21783

Postby carcrazy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm

thank you yes the motor wes rebuilt in 1998 is the trany normally wine

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am

carcrazy wrote:thank you yes the motor wes rebuilt in 1998 is the trany normally wine

Yes the transmission.

And welcome to the forum
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am

carcrazy wrote:is the trany normally wine

I think you are asking if the transmission should have a "whining" noise?

Square cut gears are inherently louder than others, but if you have a very loud pronounced whine or growl coming from the tranny you may have a repair or maintenance needed in the future.

If you have not already done so, drain the transmission fluid completely, check for the presence of a white milky appearance, if none is found, I would refill with new gear lubricant. If you do find the fluid to be white, that is an indication of water and moisture inside which can ruin bearings, fill with kerosene, drive the tractor for 15 minutes, drain out and refill.

I would recommend doing this since it sounds like you just got the Cub and plus you may not know its history.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:37 pm

G'day to you and congrats on getting your '48 Cub :applause: and very 1st new to you Cub. Be careful they are addictive and your herd could expand rather quickly :wink:

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with your '48 by taking some time and reading the closest available Owner's Manual - McCormick Farmall Cub Operator's Manual 5-1-49. Once you have read the manual and absorbed some of the basics like the Lubrication Schedule ..

When it comes to the whining in the transmission, yup as Brian said, it is typical of square cut gears. SAE90wt Gear Lube does help quieten these gears a lot. If there is something amiss in the tranny then the Gear Lube won't mask it much and you may have some repairs in your future. But, working on trannys is kinda interesting :D

Suggest you follow the links below and spend a little time reading the information that we have available to our members. There is a lot :!:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Enjoy the journey, I know many of us have and still are. Cubs are kinda addictive. Can't leave em alone for very long. :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”