This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Water in the oil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lawrence McGlohon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Water in the oil

Postby Lawrence McGlohon » Fri May 20, 2005 8:33 pm

Bad news. I checked the oil and found water. After taking the hood off, I saw that the exhaust pipe was loose, to the point I could pull the pipe out of the manifold. I did see water coming from this area when I was cranking the motor over. Thinking the water was probably from a blown head gasket or possibly a cracked head, I didn't pull the water plug from the front casting. But when I started taking the head bolts out, water started coming out between the head and block. Then, I drained the water and pulled the head off. The cylinder walls look good as does the bottom side of the head. Funny thing is, it had TWO head gaskets on it. What's the deal?? A quick fix by the po not wanting to have the head shaved? It apparently has held up for quite some time as I've had it for 6 years. What do I need to look for? Thanks
'49 cub, '51 cub, '57 cub, '50 avery v

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri May 20, 2005 8:44 pm

I dont know how long its been sitting since last ran or if it has been sitting out in the rain. Maybe water ran down your loose exhaust pipe and into the cylinders. :?: :idea:
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 20, 2005 8:50 pm

I agree with johnbron. Get the head checked for flatness and planed if necessary. I think an external source is the most likely cause of your problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri May 20, 2005 9:00 pm

Since the oil doesn't come up to the head, the only way for water to get inot the oil form there is for it to leak into a cylinder and seep past the pistons.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri May 20, 2005 9:31 pm

Do you have flat head or Hemi Pistons? The older cubs had cast iron flat head pistons. The later ones had aluminum hemi pistons. The conn rods were changed too. To accomidate the hemi's the head was changed too. On Piston replacements some people ground out the head for clearance and others used 2 gaskets. Could that be why?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Fri May 20, 2005 10:36 pm

Yes :roll:

Lawrence McGlohon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lawrence McGlohon » Sat May 21, 2005 4:46 am

I've got flat pistons, not alum. It has been under a shelter and was wondering if a blowing rain we had maybe a week before I found the water was the cause. Old Chicken George is my garden tractor so it's been run right much here lately (it has a brass chicken from maybe a lightening rod screwed into the radiator cap ) After I saw the loose pipe, I also thought it may be the problem but I couldn't see the water in the radiator, but that top pipe is blocking the view so I thought it was a blown head gasket and went in. I guess I coulda changed the fluids and kept an eye on it, but I might not have been satisfied doing that. Oh well. I'll get at least 1 head gasket today. Thanks, fellows.

Garden's getting green in places it doesn't need to be, so I may have to put the plows on the '49.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 24, 2005 7:52 pm

Lawrence McGlohon How did you make out with the 1 head gacket??
I have been waiting to see how you made out?

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Lawrence McGlohon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lawrence McGlohon » Tue May 24, 2005 8:06 pm

Bill, I've only had the chance to run it twice to operating temp. Both times I changed the oil as I want to get as much water out of the engine as possible. I filled the radiator and the water expanded due to heat the first time and flowed out the overflow pipe but it seems to holding at the right level. I really think the water may have come in thru the bad connection at the manifold/exhaust pipe. But I wanted to check things out just in case. So far, I think the one head gasket may work. I'll maybe get a chance to run it more next weekend. As far as the green garden, I had the chance to play w/ the super av. Too many toys, too little time!! I'll give you a holler later and let you know. Thanks LMc

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 24, 2005 8:14 pm

Glad to hear it. I was looking at you tractor age and date statement. Fortunately I was married to Beverly 8 years when my 63 was built.

bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Wed May 25, 2005 1:59 pm

Sure glad i've got a 1999 model tractor......cause the rest of the stable was born before i was, let alone dating... :lol: :)
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org