This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO help please

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Re: PTO help please

Postby Randy Tuura » Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm

I had similar problems.
Hengy is on to something. He mentioned some things that were my problems. First one is,

I'm sure you will find the pin on the PTO engagement lever where it goes into the PTO collar is worn at least halfway through....

Next one I found out and that was the PTO output shaft was no longer "staked" allowing the shaft to move out and away from the drive spine.

My power issue was a leaky carburettor gasket. In a pinch I made one by tracing the outline with a piece of paper and cutting the cork with an exacto knife. But the commercially made one I ordered worked much better. Had to helicoil a couple of the screw holes.

Now I can mow uphill in heavy grass and only bog down once in awhile.

In doing all these repairs, I did not have to "split" the tractor. Everything was accessible through the rear PTO cover.

Randy
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01568
Tractors Owned: 58 Loboy
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sat May 11, 2013 7:04 am

That's great. I plan on trying to do the rebuild this fall but I think I'm going to get the parts on hand just in case but I hope I can get the summer out of her as I never have any time to do anything extra. Unless I get a second tractor which I'm looking for. So here is an update. I adjusted the PTO lever guide as best I could and when the sun dried everything out I took her out praying that she would not disengage. She didn't. I thought I was having a power issue and was afraid to try cutting in second gear but found that once I gained some confidence and put it in second gear everything ran fine and actually better. I cut lawn grass and field grass on a hill. I find them to be the same except field grass is much higher and lawn grass much denser. She does bog down on parts of the hill grow really fast and are always slightly wet. I also gassed her up and am curious. I think some of the gas I had in there before may have had some stabil in it, could this have screwed anything up power wise. The gas was not very old at all but I also noticed that my power issued wasn't as bad after I put in the new gas which I think is just coincidence but it was after that that I felt confidence to put her in second gear. Also, I will check into the carburetor gasket leak. I bough a rebuild kit for mine a while back from tractor supply. I'm not ever sure if it's the right one because I just three it in my work bench drawer for another day. I do know that I have an exhaust leak where the manifold meets the underslung pipe. How much horsepower could this be robbing me of? It was small at the end of last year but I think it's slightly bigger now.
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Sat May 11, 2013 9:30 am

Take the carb kit back to TSC and refund/ swap it for something else. Get kit from CNH or other recognized quality source. Search this forum for carb "how to's", may not need kit, just good cleaning. Aren't Cubs fun? Hope you get yours sorted out soon. Exhaust leak not a power issue, just leaks on the intake side. Read CBoK or other info on manual server so you know what to do or look for.
Last edited by danovercash on Sat May 11, 2013 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat May 11, 2013 9:40 am

Johnny:

I don't think the Sta-Bil is the problem. It is designed to stabilize the fuel (ethanol isn't as stable are regular gas) and help prevent water absorption.. at least that is my understanding. Since ethanol added fuels do not have the life span of regular gas I would suspect the base fuel as well as some water becoming part of the problem - Gas Expiration - Ethanol Blend Fuels Have a Short Shelf Life.

And yes, take that kit back to TSC and get either an IH KIt, the individual parts you need from TM or get the Steiner kit provided you actually need a kit. A good cleaning may be all it needs. Do check for warping as well while you are in there.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby danovercash » Sat May 11, 2013 10:21 am

Go to the green tractor store and purchase a mower blade height gauge. Not much money, (plastic) and worth every penny. With blades oriented parallel to tractor (front to rear and on smooth level hard surface) measure tip to ground distance. 59 inch mower needs about 1/4 inch difference and 42 inch mower needs 1/2inch difference. This is called angle of attack. Also check level side to side. Another way to check angle is with carpenter's level. Adjust mower so that you have to pick up level end at front of tractor to make level and have desired distance from level to deck. Hope this makes sense.

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Sat May 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. The power issue seems to be less of a problem today. I checked the carb for leaks but found none. i'm not gonna bother with the carb at all right now. when i originally got the tractor it would leak a little because the float seemed to be sticking, i didn't open it up just flushed some cleaner through it and when i finish up for the day i shut the gas off and let the tractor shut it self off that way the bowl is empty and the float can work proper then i kill power. so the leaking hasn't been a problem ever since. danovercash I understand exactly what you are saying but don't understand why. it seems that what you and someone else are saying is that the mower deck should be lower in the front but the whole thing hangs from chains over the top of it and pivots where it bolts to the frame in the back as i'm sure you know. the lower it is the tighter the belt is so how would that make it easier on the tractor or am i missing something about the angle of the cut. i just don't understand it for me the lower I go the harder on the tractor and if i raise it up it's easier. for example if it's completely level it usually to low and bogs the tractor down on the hills but if i raise it up the front is now higher than the rear and it's fine. it cuts fine and power isn't usually an issue other than yesterday. what am i missing? is it different with a lo boy? oh by the way snapped the lift arm for the fast hitch today. had a welder fix me up real quick and it (doesn't look factory but) good to go but i'm gonna be posting about getting a new one to make sure i have it one hand. i know the lo boy ones are different than the regular cub one and i gather a lot harder to find.
Johnny Lindquist
1958 Fast Hitch Lo Boy with Woods 59CL-3 Mower Deck, L38 Disc Harrow, F194 Plow and L54 Blade

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sat May 11, 2013 9:51 pm

danovercash wrote:Go to the green tractor store and purchase a mower blade height gauge.

One of the best inexpensive purchases ever made. Sure makes setting the decks up easier :idea: :D Wish it has IH on it instead of that leaping critter :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat May 11, 2013 10:00 pm

danovercash wrote:Go to the green tractor store and purchase a mower blade height gauge. Not much money, (plastic) and worth every penny. With blades oriented parallel to tractor (front to rear and on smooth level hard surface) measure tip to ground distance. 59 inch mower needs about 1/4 inch difference and 42 inch mower needs 1/2inch difference. This is called angle of attack. Also check level side to side. Another way to check angle is with carpenter's level. Adjust mower so that you have to pick up level end at front of tractor to make level and have desired distance from level to deck. Hope this makes sense.

Using the level only works if the Cub is on a level surface. The mower blade height gauge (I have one and really like it) will work on a flat surface that may not be level.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby danovercash » Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm thinking (haven't used the woods lately) that there are three adjustment holes at the rear of the mower. Use those to get close. Then use the eyebolt on lift chain adjustment to zero in. If the deck is level or low in rear all the blades are cutting and recutting grass all the time. You just want the the blades cutting grass as they pass the front of the deck. Set it up backwards and you will see what I mean. Ok to run deck high in front to get through tough spot. knock it down, then go back and mow it correctly. Learned the angle of attack thing from the Lawn-Boy shop manual. Have 4 IH mowers made by L-B btw.

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Tue May 14, 2013 7:50 am

Alright thanks everyone for all the useful information. If it maximized efficiency I'll give it it try. Mower deck is off right now but will be putting back on and I'll check out the mounting holes. I didn't think there were to many options but if it's there then I'll make use of it. I understood the concept much better once you said that I'm cutting the grass twice if it's higher in the front so I'll be rectifying that. I'll be sure to chime in when I go to service the PTO.
Johnny Lindquist

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue May 14, 2013 10:17 am

Rudi wrote:
danovercash wrote:Go to the green tractor store and purchase a mower blade height gauge.

One of the best inexpensive purchases ever made. Sure makes setting the decks up easier :idea: :D Wish it has IH on it instead of that leaping critter :roll:

I am still too cheap to get one of the guages. What I use is a 2x2 or 2x4 block about 6 inches long. I reach under the mower deck and stand the block upright. Then I rotate the blade until the cutting edge contacts the block, making a mark. I then go around to the other side and repeat to see if the other blade marks the block in the same place. If not adjust one side accordingly. Repeat until the marks are aligned.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue May 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Ron:

Now that is a seriously good frugal idea :!: :idea: New take on the old story board :D

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby danovercash » Wed May 15, 2013 6:39 am

Yes, that is a good idea! I'm thinking some 2x2 cut in two pieces, screwed togethered in L shape. Mark both sides of short length in quarter inch increments. Lay flat, slide under deck, turn upright, measure. Make two and check both sides at the same time.

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Wed May 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Yup I think I'll be doing that to.
Johnny Lindquist

Johnny Lindqvist
10+ Years
10+ Years
49 Super A

Postby Johnny Lindqvist » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 pm

OK, just a follow up. Tweaked the PTO collar as directed. Sharpened and Levelled my blades. Adjusted belt (again). Moved position of rear mount. Now I'm cutting field grass up hill with the leveling wheels on the ground. Have never been able to cut with wheels down. Haven't had problem with PTO since. Running better than when I originally got it. Position of rear mount not correct because I'm to close to the tires and have very limited up down movement but for right now it's working absolutely beautiful so I'm not gonna do anything about it until I either have to or have alot more time on my hands.
Johnny Lindquist

Return to “Farmall Cub”