This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First Paint Job (Orange Peel)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
MADSCIENTIST
10+ Years
10+ Years

First Paint Job (Orange Peel)

Postby MADSCIENTIST » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:15 pm

I attempted my first paint job today, painted the hood, battery box, fenders, toolbox, and dash. I painted with IHC red oil-based enamel, added the correct amount of hardener, and thinned it very slightly 1:10 with naptha solvent. The hood and fenders, while very well covered and super shiny, have a fair amount of orange peel texture. I am debating wet-sanding and buffing them before putting on the decals. Will the orange peel effect the decals? The humidity is pretty high here today, but I couldn't wait to paint the tractor (not impatience, neccesity) and I think that may have had something to do with the paint orange peeling. Then again, I couldn't be more of a novice when it comes to painting so who knows. Should I leave it alone and try to do better next time, or should I go the extra distance and wet-sand and buff it? I feel like a kook going to such extremes with a tractor? :? My friends are starting to say that the Cub is becoming my "Christine", next thing I'll be talking to it and it will start murdering people.......... :twisted:

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:00 pm

Humidity got nothing to do with orange peel. Check out the following link:
http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/refer ... /index.cfm
and see some reasons, and tips on how to eliminate this problem. Orange peel will not effect the decals. It will effect how you conceive the paint job.. If you are not to impatient, give it about a week (I assume you don't have a paint room) then sand starting with about 320 and work up to about 800 I I go up to 1200 and higher on a super job such as one of the autos)or so. Then repaint. Good Luck
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:09 pm

sorry, but I couldn't resist. I believe tha twould be perceive, rather than conciev the job. He'll be knocked up now. LOL
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:32 pm

I guess I am not the only one with a citrus hood. My paint came out crinkly around the gas-filler hole area. I think what happened was I got the paint to thick and it flowed down the gas neck and puddled before flowing out smooth and sitting outside all day in the 100° heat made it dry to fast and crinkle like orange peel. I might fix it someday. But for some time to come I will live with my dissapointment. :cry: Sob :cry: Sob :cry: Weep :cry:
Then came Bronson

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:58 pm

Well, he felt he had screwed up the paint job, therefore concieved. lol.... :lol:
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Dave1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave1 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:47 pm

Is it C/IH 2150 you're spraying? I've sprayed it for a few years now and cannot get it to flow out(go on smoothly) by mixing according to the label on can. Label says 8 to 1 paint/reducer, I mix it more like 4 to 1 or 3 to 1 to get best results. Practice this on something before repainting your Cub.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:13 am

:( Try practicing on something first. My Ford Industrial 2000 has a nice Rouge Red bucket. I noticed that I was getting orange peel until I increased the pressure to 45 lbs on my HVLP gun. I also mixed the 2150 as follows:

8 parts paint

4 parts reducer

1 part hardener

Fellow at the auto paint store said the mix directions on the cans don't work to well because of EPA standards. Mixed too thick.

I also noticed you have to paint in thin coats and only wait about 5 minutes before you put on another coat. I never painted anything in my life and mine came out great.

GOON LUCK!
Always try the easiest thing first.

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:46 pm

More Airpressure = Smoother paint, More Reducer = Smoother paint, However More Air pressure could = Dry looking paint. More Reducer could = Dull paint.

When i painted My 67 I actually tried to get some orange peel, If its too smooth its not correct. I assure you when they were painted originally they had plenty of orange peel. If your not happy hit it with a little 1200 but not to much then buff and polish. Be sure to tape up your edges so youdont burn them and alway buff OFF an edge
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

MADSCIENTIST
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby MADSCIENTIST » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:23 am

I came in today and the paint appears alot nicer now that it has dried for a few days. :) The orange peel has subsided alot and it is very, very shiny. There are quite a few dust particles, but that is to be expected, I painted it in my factory's paint booth, and it's pretty dusty in here, even on the weekends. A bunch of the guys from our fab shop said that the paint job looks good to them, and one of the guys said he would come over and help me wet-sand and buff out the dust spots. I guess I was just being too critical and nervous. I agree with Todd, I like the slight orange peel, it looks authentic. I know that I should wait a few months to wax it, how long before I can put on the decals? :?:

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:07 am

you can put the decals on right away. You can also polish it now, just not wax. In fact I personally would never wax anything. If you want to protect it use Liquid Glass. But wait 4 months
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart