This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Uni-Tow Cub engine tug

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Uni-Tow Cub engine tug

Postby Paul B » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:55 pm

I got to see the Uni-Tow tug today, that sold on epay a month or so ago. It is now show ready. The engine is a Cub, has a shortened Cub torque tube, Cub transaxle with dropboxes or final drives, and has ford hydraulic brakes adapted to the rear axles. The drop boxes appear to be two Cub left side units. The radiator is from a Framall "A". It will be at Cub-Arama. It was built by (and this is probably spelled wrong) Henshel & Green, which supposedly had worked for Hebard (sp) and when Hebard went out of business they formed their own company. It is a very nice unit, and something to see. Terry and his nephew Chuck did an outstanding job, or maybe Chuck did a good job, and Terry paid the bills and got in the way :lol:

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:16 pm

Can we see a pic or two, or is it under wraps until September :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:28 pm

I saw one this spring only it was made from an "A" . very simular to what you discribed. I almost bid on that my self but thought Jim B was bidding on it. :lol:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:36 pm

One and the same UniTow. That was about mid-March and Terry seemed to have an arbitrarily deep pocket that week.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:49 pm

Cub-Bud
No pictures - can't take any when you leave camera at home. It's not under wraps, he had it a show today, and as far as I know, he will have it at RPRU. It is painted Federal yellow with a IH white hood, and the engine and other Cub parts painted red.

Jim
I don't know how deep his pockets were that day, but he said today that he was pretty sure he wasn't going to be out bid on it :)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:31 pm

I got out bid on that one real quick.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:00 pm

Paul emailed the pics to me to post here for everyone to enjoy.

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:05 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: B-E-A-UTIFUL!

that ones a keeper :wink: :wink:
Aaron.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:05 pm

Wow that looks great.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:30 pm

Paul:

Those are nice pics. The restore is really nice. I like the colour scheme and the decals :D

Who actually owns this unit? And who did the restore?

Really nice job.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:45 pm

That's a nice, well done restoration of a unique machine. I was looking forward to great things if Jim had won the bid.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way... If Donald Duck had driven a tug, this would have been it!

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:52 pm

second biggest cub Cadet I eveer saw.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:37 pm

:P Wow!!, Neat looking machine. It sure looks a lot nicer now than it did when it was pictured on eBay. :P
Then came Bronson

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:14 pm

Rudi
The Uni-Tow is owned by a member of the KY Chapter of IH Collectors Club. I don't know if he wants his full name reveiled on the internet, but his first name is Terry. I believe he and his nephew "Chuck" did the work, and Chuck did the painting. Basically all it needed was cosmetic work. The engine runs good and nothing was done other than carburetor cleaning. He replaced the master cylinder and rear wheel cylinders - thats when it was discovered they were Ford items. One of the rear wheels was bent so it was replaced, or may have replace both to have a matching pair. There was 400-500lbs of weight removed from the under the seat area. Since it's tug days are over, there was no reason to haul extra weight around. The color combination was Terry's choice, don't know what it was originally, but it was probably was yellow, as most tugs were in that time period, even the military tugs were yellow then. The decals on the hood side say Farmall Cub Tug. There is really nothing in the pictures to judge the size by, but it is little, even by tug standards. The drive train length is the Cub engine, with the torque tube shortened so that basically the transaxle is connected to the rear of the clutch, or bellhousing, and the transaxle. So look at your Cub and disregard the "tube" part of the torque tube, and you just about have the length of the tug. The width is the transaxle case plus two left side final drive drop boxes. The front wheels are 12" diameter and the rear are either 15" or 16", I forgot (CRS you know). As some of the wives at the show were heard to say, "it's cute".