This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Blade install for a woods42 undermount deck

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
floodwoodcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55025

Blade install for a woods42 undermount deck

Postby floodwoodcub » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Hey! New to the forum, and to tractor ownership. So, on my '48 cub woods mower deck, I am having some issues...What it came with, you have the plate that is attached to the spindle shaft. It has one hole several inches back from the end, in the center of the bar(same on each end). It has another hole about half way towards the end. This hole is off center. I have two blades, one for each side. Then there is a bottom plate, which has the centered hole several inches from the end. It then has two(on each end) slots that starts at an offcenter hole and goes diagonally to the outer edge. For this, there was a bolt, but the bolt would push the bottom plate so that the bolt wasn't really holding the plate at all, and the plate was then offset of the top plate. The blade then was not inline with the plates. Looking from the tip of one blade to the tip of the far blade, looks like a "S". Sorry, not picture at this time, although someone who has seen this would know I am sure. So, what am I missing, or is this correct? And what is the premise of this type of blade set up,ie..what are the blades supposed to do, and what does that outer bolt do?

Appreciate any help!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Blade install for a woods42 undermount deck

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the ride.

I'm not really sure what you are asking, so here is a link to a Woods 42 manual that may help you out. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/OEM%20Implement%20and%20Attachment%20Manuals/Woods%20Mower%20Manuals/42C-6%20Rotary%20Mower/Woods%2042C-6%20Rotary%20Mower.htm

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:07 pm

The blades on a 42 mower do not stick straight out from the end of the blade mounts. There is a block there to prevent one blade from hitting the other. They swing in the other direction so that if you hit something there is some give to them. There should be a pin holding the blades in place. There should be a plate held down by a bolt keeping the pin in place. If you have a bolt holding the pins in place, then I advise getting the proper pins. Mine had bolts holding the blades in place. The rotation of the blades will cause the nut to tighten on the bolt. Previous owner had also placed a washer as a spacer in with the blade. The nut would tighten down enough that the blade had no swing to it. Causes the mower to vibrate if the blades aren't in equal position
Thomas

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 pm

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on becoming a new Cub owner :!: .. Be careful, they are very addictive and like other things tend to multiply when you aren't looking :lol:

Bill gave you good advice, check out the Woods Mower Manuals and see which mower you have. Without a pic or a model number we don't have much idea on which mower you do have.

Also, there are a lot of resources for our members and it is a good idea to spend some time going through the information contained in the links below...

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the [url=h p://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=20]Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information[/url], it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship