This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front end woes...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Front end woes...

Postby jsmit » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:58 pm

My steering is tight, big time! I rebuilt the steering gear housing, new seals and gaskets a while back. Is it too tight or do I have an alignment problem ie should I look at my linkages.

Here is what I plan to do:
1. Lift front & check to see if steering still hard (may indicated steering gear housing assmby too tight.
2. Measure between wheels front and back, if different may need to adust steering linkages.... am I on track?

Here is another incidental question: when I motor along in 1st gear either the trans or final drives seem to whine, the sound is much smoother in 2nd and 3rd gears, why so? especailly true when more power is applied, I can't recall if it did that prior to my rebuild, cause I took way too long!
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:26 pm

It looks like you are on the right track. Jacking the front end up should tell you if your gear is too tight or if the problem lies in the steering knuckles and / or axle columns. Settin the front end for 1/4" toe-in will help the steering as well. George Willer's alignment proceedure is on Rudi's manual site.
Now, as far as the transmission whine, as you know some whine is normal. There is usually one gear or another that whines more than the others. You could always tell the "plow gear" on an old tractor. It had the most whine. Mostly because that gear was used more than the others. With your cub, first gear was likely used most of the time for farming operations and therefore is worn more than the others so it whines more. Second and third gears share a different slider gear from first and reverse. Also, these two gears were used under lighter loads. If the wear is in the slider gear, the noise usually shows up in pairs - first and reverse share a slider, second and third share a slider. Since your noise gets worse under load, it sounds like worn gears.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jsmit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jsmit » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:59 pm

Many thanks, I will post again when I fix the steering problem. The description of the whine was enlightening. I think my cub may have seen some hard use. In addition, when I rebuilt the motor it was bored .020 over so it has mo' power now, that may exaggerate the noise no?
Cub is running again! Just troubleshooting now!