This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods 42C-4 Overrunning Clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Woods 42C-4 Overrunning Clutch

Postby David » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:08 pm

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what is the purpose of the overrunning clutch in the 42c-4 mower?

I am re-building this mower deck, and found that there is in fact no overrunning clutch installed.

In the manual that I downloaded from Rudi's site, it looks like there is an option for just having the sheave (3a) installed directly with a bushing (3b) instead of 3. See Woods 42C-4 Manual.

(see the shaded parts?)

Is this correct?

I am wondering if it is worth spending some $ to buy an overrunning clutch assembly?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:14 pm

David, the over-running clutch allows the deck to freewheel so that the inertial of the turning blades does not push the tractor forward when you push the clutch in. It operates similarly to the coaster brake on a bicycle.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby David » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:21 pm

Probably worth installing right (case I want to stop in a hurry)?

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:25 pm

I was operating the M yesterday with a bush hog without an ORC. The M's brake pedals are frozen to their shaft (round tuit) so it doesn't have brakes. Yep! I ended up tangled up in the autumn olive thicket. No real harm done but it's amazing the power stored up in the spinning blades when operating at fairly high RPM. Just think of the effort required to get them started for a clue.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce