This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

SHE'S RUNNIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:22 pm

Evening guys....good news....don't know how, don't know why, but I took a wrench and tapped the oil guage, then fired up Paw's 49.....the guage seems to be working now. Needle is 3/4 over to the right. It also looks like the leak at the fuel bowl has stopped. Do these Cubs have a way of fixing themselves sometimes??? Still plan to drop the pan, clean it out, flush the gas tank, new oil and filter. Other than that, seems good to go.
Still am amazed at how good she runs....don't miss a beat!!

When I said I was going to CubFest, it was just that I was so excited about getting the tractor runnin', I wish I could take it there. Not really going, but I'm sure a good time will be had by all. It would be great to see you.

Well thanks again for all your help. I'll be back, I'm sure. OH! One thing I wanted to ask.....I tried to check the pressure in the rear wheels - looks like they are full of liquid. I'd really like to get that stuff out of there, but if you guys think it helps that much with traction, maybe I should leave it in? What's ya'lls opinion?

Thanks!
Craig

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:59 pm

Craig:

Just my 'pinion, but I would get that calcium chloride out of there pronto :!: :idea: :!: :arrow: :!: Don't like it, it is dangerous, corrosive, and all kinds of other stuff... will definitely rust out your rims. I had two sets of rims - had loaded tires - rims were shot :!:

Wheel weights should be all the weight you need for traction in most circumstances. For my mind, loaded tires is just a lousy temporary fix for a serious lack of proper wheel weights.

There probably is many places where loaded tires will come in handy, but there has to be a far safer and more environmentally friendly option than Calcium Chloride -- bad stuff - I think it is being banned in many municipalities, provinces/states etc., as well.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:50 pm

Sounds good to me, Rudi, but how do you get the stuff outta there?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:00 am

Craig:

If you go to your local CaseIH dealer, they can sell you the valve stem extension that is used to drain calcium or anti-freeze or whatever you load your tires with. Disposal though might be a problem.

Is your dealer close to you? If so, do you have a way to get the tires to him? If so, then it might be wiser, cheaper and safer to have the dealer do it...

Otherwise, you will have to check with your local enivronmental regs to see how to dispose of the calcium chloride. Here it has to go to a hazmat facility.. can get expensive. Although, construction companies use calcium chloride to keep dust down on gravel roads, they might agree to accept it from you too.

Just a couple ideas. Hope they help.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:14 am

Unless you are planning to dismount the tire and clean the whole thing up, I doubt that it will do you much good from a corrosion aspect to remove the fluid from the tires. Whatever is inside the tube is inside the tube and isn't much of a hazard.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:30 am

Jim is right if you have tubes. If you have tubeless tires you want them filled so that the whole tire is fill and none of the rim is not covered. It keeps the corrosion minimized. Partially filled tubless tires destroy the rims.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:21 pm

Jim and Bill:

As you know, I very, very seldom will dissent with the opinion or observations of my betters (read guys with more experience than I), however on this one I will.

In a perfect world, you both are correct. Tubes and calcium chloride should be ok. However, we all know we do not live in a perfect world and therefore crap happens.

Both sets of rims that I had that were corroded, had tubes in them. Tubes does not guarantee non-leakage.

Based on that experience, I would recommend that CaCl be removed asap when possible. However, I am still a relative newbie and am not by anymeans really knowledgeable. It is just that I really do not like loaded tires period. Especially on a Cub or even a Massey 2040.

It is ok on a JD-644D, or equivalent, but not on a garden tractor. Overkill, makes the Cub too heavy. Weights will do the job well enough. If one set is not sufficient, then add a second set....

Yust me dos centavos mi amigos...

However, I will defer to the majority viewpoint on this question if need be...

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:42 pm

Rudi,
The catch is that is impossible to totally empty the calcuim mixture out of a tube. So if you do get a leak later on, it will still be leaking CaCl onto the rim. Further, the process of taking the mixture out will probably end up giving a good dose to the area around the stem, which you would rather not do unless you are dismounting the tire and doing a cleanup.

Just for a reference on how much weight is involved, a 9-24 tire holds 16 gallons to valve level, and 21 gallons at 100% full. Since the Cub rims are only 7" wide, the volume is probably a little less than the number from the chart. One gallon mixed for -20F weighs 9.48 pounds, mixed for -40 weights 10.18 pounds. So a typical loading the tires is pretty close to the same as adding one set of weights.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:48 pm

Jim:

See I knew I could count on you.... Can I use that for data on the server???

I know you can't get it all out. You eventually have to change the tubes.. and yes some might leak, that is why I suggested taking it to the dealer. Let them handle it....

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Usually I mess up and don't say all I want to say or ramble on for ever. In this case I was trying to make the point that only remove the CaCl when you are prepared to dismount, the tire, clean and paint. Dont leave it partially filled. With a tube you can get away with it for a while but as jim pointed out it will come back to bite you where the sun don't shine.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:50 am

Thanks for all the responses - the calcium chloride discussion is interesting, but I ain't sure what's in there - could be CC, could be antifreeze, or I guess it could be just plain water, and I guess there is no real easy way to tell. I don't have a clue who put that stuff in there - knowing Dad, I don't think he would have tried to do it, but can't be sure. I know one of the rims is pretty corroded, but the other looks pretty good, but also looks like it has newer paint on it than the other one, so I guess in reality it could be just as bad underneath the silver paint.
Is there a way to tell if I have tubes or not? The tractor has rear wheel weights, so again, I'd like to get it out of there, but don't think I'm quite ready for a dismount and take to the dealer job yet.
Another thing I've been wanting to ask (I know, SO many questions!!) do both rear wheels provide traction, or is the Cub a "one wheel drive" tractor, and if so, which one is the traction wheel?
I'm off to the local Case dealer here shortly.
Ya'll have a good Saturday, and thanks again for the help.
Craig
1949 Cub 81987.
I can take it apart....problem is getting it back together.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:01 am

The differental will let 1 spin and the other sit still. Have your brake pedals seperated and step on the brake for he one that is spinning. Better be quick about though or you will dig yourself in.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”