This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New rebuild- carb or ignition problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CraigKennedy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430

Re: New rebuild- carb or ignition problem

Postby CraigKennedy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 am

Scrivet wrote:
CraigKennedy wrote:for the coil getting hot, check your wiring at your ignition switch on the dash, I had got the wires switched around, and my coil would get hotter than hell just sitting there. ..........
:? Is this on a regular distributor kill switch (two wiring terminals, pull knob out to run, push in to kill) that this happened?

Yes, had them switched around backwards, tractor would crank with the switch in or out if this is the problem

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:30 am

CraigKennedy wrote:
Scrivet wrote:
CraigKennedy wrote:for the coil getting hot, check your wiring at your ignition switch on the dash, I had got the wires switched around, and my coil would get hotter than hell just sitting there. ..........
:? Is this on a regular distributor kill switch (two wiring terminals, pull knob out to run, push in to kill) that this happened?
Yes, had them switched around backwards, tractor would crank with the switch in or out if this is the problem
If that is the case you had some other problem. Only reversing the wires on the switch doesn't make any difference in the operation of the switch. The tractor will "crank" with the switch in either position, it will ony start and run with the switch pulled out. If by "crank" you mean it would start and run in either position then you probably had the terminals or wires touching (easy to do and not notice in the cramped area it's in) which would negate the operation of the switch. This would be the same electrically as having the switch pulled out while operating the tractor. Which wouldn't, by itself, cause the coil to get extremely hot. Still thinking you had/have some other problem.

Billy balls
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62049

Postby Billy balls » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks, haven't got back to it this week. I will this weekend. Bought a new coil , points, condenser through Napa. Will recheck the firing order. Reset timing and see what happens.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:12 am

Scrivet wrote:
CraigKennedy wrote:Yes, had them switched around backwards, tractor would crank with the switch in or out if this is the problem
If that is the case you had some other problem. Only reversing the wires on the switch doesn't make any difference in the operation of the switch. The tractor will "crank" with the switch in either position, it will ony start and run with the switch pulled out. If by "crank" you mean it would start and run in either position then you probably had the terminals or wires touching (easy to do and not notice in the cramped area it's in) which would negate the operation of the switch. This would be the same electrically as having the switch pulled out while operating the tractor. Which wouldn't, by itself, cause the coil to get extremely hot. Still thinking you had/have some other problem.
Ran this through my head a little more and IF the engine was in a position that the points were closed, with the tractor not running, and the switch on (or terminals touching), then that could cause the coil to heat up. The only electrical load between the battery and ground in this set of circumstances would be the coil. Which is also why you should NEVER leave the switch out for more than a few seconds with the engine not turning.

CraigKennedy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CraigKennedy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:28 pm

"you had some other problem. Only reversing the wires on the switch doesn't make any difference in the operation of the switch. The tractor will "crank" with the switch in either position, it will ony start and run with the switch pulled out. If by "crank" you mean it would start and run in either position then you probably had the terminals or wires touching (easy to do and not notice in the cramped area it's in) which would negate the operation of the switch. This would be the same electrically as having the switch pulled out while operating the tractor. Which wouldn't, by itself, cause the coil to get extremely hot. Still thinking you had/have some other problem.[/quote]"

-By CRANK I mean CRANK. If the wires are on the switch backwards the tractor will CRANK with it in or out and the coil will get hot just sitting there. I WAS there.
Last edited by CraigKennedy on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigKennedy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CraigKennedy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:31 pm

Billy balls wrote:Thanks, haven't got back to it this week. I will this weekend. Bought a new coil , points, condenser through Napa. Will recheck the firing order. Reset timing and see what happens.

Also while replacing points condenser, take sure your ammeter shows charge when you connect the battery back, this shows if the points are open or not. It tells you in the timing section of the manual :arrow:

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Smokeycub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:21 am

Craig, It can be frustrating. It does sound like a coil problem. Is it possible they sent you a 6v coil? The new NAPA coil may be all you need. Just to be sure double check the firing order and how the coil and switch are wired. Let us know how it turns out! It's usually something pretty simple, it's just a matter of finding it.
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Billy balls
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62049

Postby Billy balls » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:43 pm

POINTS where junk. Brand new points where junk. A long time tractor mechanic and restorer tipped me off. Told him of my problems. Points, get rid of the points , go to IH or Napa and buy their points. At Napa buy their Ecklin brand. Also bought a new Ecklin brand coil and condenser. After compairing these points with the ones I had installed after rebuild it was obvious the difference. #1: the spring on the points was twice as heavy. According to his advice , the 4 cylinder square point cam must have enough spring tention to close points after coming off the lobe. The tractor runs like a top. Starts with ease. Smooth with power. Alls good! Thanks everyone for their input and much needed advice. On to next project - summer time!

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:14 am

Glad you got it going. And thanks for the info on Ecklin brand points. I will know what to ask for the next time mine nees changing.

Billy